How to calculate the equivalent resistance in this Circuit?

In summary: As @DaveE pointed out earlier, the orange and red resistors are not in parallel due to the yellow resistor between them. So, you cannot combine them to get 5Ω equivalence. Going back to the picture in post #5, how does the total resistance of figure (b) compare to the total resistance of figure (a)?The total resistance in figure b is less than the total resistance in figure a.
VitaminK
Homework Statement
Calculate the equivalent resistance. Is it possible to calculate an exact value?
Relevant Equations
Series: R1+R2+R3....Rn = Req
Parallel: (1/Req)=(1/R1)+(1/R2)…(1/Rn)
I start from far right:
Green and blue are parallel Connection:
1583521284901.png

This in turn is in series connection with black resistor:
1583521375879.png

and so on ...
1583520984829.png

This is what I'm ending up with
1583521518117.png

My final equivalent resistance is (275/17) Ω. Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
VitaminK said:
Homework Statement:: Calculate the equivalent resistance. Is it possible to calculate an exact value?
Relevant Equations:: Series: R1+R2+R3...Rn = Req
Parallel: (1/Req)=(1/R1)+(1/R2)…(1/Rn)

Green and blue are parallel Connection
What about the black resistor? Either this was a simple oversight, or you need to review what parallel resistors are.

Also, take note that this circuit goes on forever to the right side. There is no "right most" resistor. You said you started at the right; I think you started somewhere in the middle.

Oh right, I get it now. So I will never be able to calculate an exact value because the Circuit is never ending. Maybe I should start from the left and work my way up to at least five more parallel resitors just to show that.

VitaminK said:
Oh right, I get it now. So I will never be able to calculate an exact value because the Circuit is never ending. Maybe I should start from the left and work my way up to at least five more parallel resitors just to show that.
Actually, you can calculate the exact value. There is a trick to getting the answer that might be hard to see if you've never seen the trick before! It's also hard to give a hint without giving the whole thing away. :oldfrown:

You are interested in the total resistance of the network shown in figure (a) below:
1583529120132.png

Consider the part of this network that is to the right of the brown resistor, as shown in (b).

You can model all of the stuff to the right of some arbitrary point as a single resistor of (initially) unknown value. Then look for patterns. It's sort of like the infinite series calculations that you may have seen in your math classes.

DaveE said:
What about the black resistor? Either this was a simple oversight, or you need to review what parallel resistors are.
TSny said:
Actually, you can calculate the exact value. There is a trick to getting the answer that might be hard to see if you've never seen the trick before! It's also hard to give a hint without giving the whole thing away. :oldfrown:

You are interested in the total resistance of the network shown in figure (a) below:
View attachment 258264

Consider the part of this network that is to the right of the brown resistor, as shown in (b).

TSny said:

View attachment 258264

The equivalent resistance for orange and red:
1583521284901-png.png

The equivalent resistance for 5Ω-resistor and Purple:
5Ω+10Ω = 15Ω

The equivalent resistance for 15Ω-resistor and blue:
1583532822623.png

The equivalent resistance for 6Ω-resistor and yellow:
6Ω+10Ω=16Ω

The equivalent resistance for 16Ω-resistor and green:
1583533065840.png

The equivalent resistance for 80/13Ω-resistor and gray:
1583533128996.png

The equivalent resistance for 210/13Ω-resistor and black:
1583533195948.png

If this calculation is correct , do you mean that this pattern will repeat itself?

VitaminK said:
The equivalent resistance for orange and red:
View attachment 258269

As @DaveE pointed out earlier, the orange and red resistors are not in parallel due to the yellow resistor between them. So, you cannot combine them to get 5Ω equivalence.

Going back to the picture in post #5, how does the total resistance of figure (b) compare to the total resistance of figure (a)?

Likes scottdave
It is sort of like this puzzle:
$$x = 1+ \frac { 1 } { 1 + \frac {1} {1 + ...}}$$
Can you find the value of ##x## ?
If you can figure how to do that one, then the same type of thinking can be applied to the circuit network.

Likes TSny
scottdave said:
It is sort of like this puzzle:
Can you find the value of ##x## ?
If you can figure how to do that one, then the same type of thinking can be applied to the circuit network.

less than 2?
TSny said:
As @DaveE pointed out earlier, the orange and red resistors are not in parallel due to the yellow resistor between them. So, you cannot combine them to get 5Ω equivalence.

Going back to the picture in post #5, how does the total resistance of figure (b) compare to the total resistance of figure (a)?

I guess the total resistance in figure b is less than a?

TSny said:

Then purple must be in series with orange, yellow with red, grey with blue and finally black with green, or is it wrong?

VitaminK said:
I guess the total resistance in figure b is less than a?
Can you find any difference in the networks of (a) and (b)? [Other than the colors! :smile: ]

VitaminK said:
Then purple must be in series with orange, yellow with red, grey with blue and finally black with green, or is it wrong?
None of the individual resistors in the network are in series or parallel.

Perhaps it would help if you first solve the finite circuit that only has the left-most 4 resistors. Then solve it for the left-most 6 resistors, then 8 ... Look for a pattern. How does adding 2 more resistors to the previously solved version change the answer?

Less than 2 is a good guess. I really don't want to give it away @VitaminK . If you can arrive at the method of solving with just a little prompting, it will help your problem solving skills, because you'll probably remember it better.
Let's think about the puzzle:

So look at just the denominator of the first 1. How would you compare that expression to the whole expression?

Likes hutchphd
scottdave said:
Less than 2 is a good guess. I really don't want to give it away @VitaminK . If you can arrive at the method of solving with just a little prompting, it will help your problem solving skills, because you'll probably remember it better.
Let's think about the puzzle:

So look at just the denominator of the first 1. How would you compare that expression to the whole expression?
The expression in the denominator is the same as the whole expression?

Likes scottdave
VitaminK said:
The expression in the denominator is the same as the whole expression?
So using that information, you could solve for an actual value of x.

Now how can you apply that thinking to the resistors. Is there a portion of the whole network, which looks like the whole network. Then we can go about solving for the value of "X" resistance.

TSny said:
Can you find any difference in the networks of (a) and (b)? [Other than the colors! :smile: ]
two resistors less

scottdave said:
So using that information, you could solve for an actual value of x.

Now how can you apply that thinking to the resistors. Is there a portion of the whole network, which looks like the whole network. Then we can go about solving for the value of "X" resistance.

I guess that would be the resistors in b)

VitaminK said:
I guess that would be the resistors in b)
Yes

1583596825985.png
something like this?

If R is the unknown equivalent resistance of (a), what is the equivalent resistance of (b)?

It's R

VitaminK said:
It's R
Yes. Can you redraw network (a) so that it takes this into account and becomes a simpler network?

1583598504858.png
like this?

VitaminK said:
Well, this is a correct drawing. But it is not what I had in mind. Make use of the fact that (a) and (b) have the same resistance R.

Likes scottdave
1583600086646.png

VitaminK said:
No. This is not correct. It will probably help if you explain in words how you got this incorrect diagram.

1583603762816.png
I've now replaced circuit b) with R.

VitaminK said:
View attachment 258304I've now replaced circuit b) with R.
So find an expression for the resistance of this circuit (leaving in the variable R). Then, as you figured out, this circuit has the same resistance as the one you drew in post #25.

1583610062190.png
is this the expression?

VitaminK said:
View attachment 258309is this the expression?
Yes. Good. But keep going. Can you continue to simplify this circuit by combining the two resistors in your diagram?

1583674495250.png

1583674514627.png

1583674539006.png

1583674567814.png

Think I got it now. Thanks everyone!

Likes scottdave and TSny
Only one of those values is possible in a real circuit since one is positive and the other is negative.
Now that you solved it, here's a check for your answer. Let's start several nodes out to the right.
We have the 10Ω in parallel with the unknown equivalent resistance to the right of that. Let's call that R0.

If we move 1 node to the left, then R1 = 10Ω + (10Ω)(R0) / ( 10Ω + R0) . This is the Product / Sum for parallel resistances. You can keep going: R2 = 10Ω + (10Ω)(R1) / ( 10Ω + R1) and so on.

So why am I doing all of this? You can iterate till it converges on a number. Even though we don't know what R0 is, we can take an initial guess. We know it should be larger than 10Ω, so pick 11 as an initial guess.

I used Excel. Put my guess for R0 in the first cell {A1}, then in A2 I put the following formula: =10+10*A1/(10+A1)

I copied this down several rows. You can see that it converges fairly fast to a number (numerically close to your answer).

But even if I put wild guesses like 0 or 1 million, it still converges pretty close after only 5 or 6 iterations.

1. How do I calculate the equivalent resistance in a series circuit?

In a series circuit, the equivalent resistance is simply the sum of all the individual resistances. This can be calculated by adding up the resistance values of each component in the circuit.

2. What is the formula for calculating equivalent resistance in a parallel circuit?

The formula for calculating equivalent resistance in a parallel circuit is 1/Req = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + ... + 1/Rn, where Req is the equivalent resistance and R1, R2, R3, etc. are the individual resistances of each component.

3. How do I calculate the equivalent resistance for a combination of series and parallel circuits?

To calculate the equivalent resistance for a combination of series and parallel circuits, first simplify the circuit by replacing any series or parallel combinations with their equivalent resistances. Then, use the appropriate formula (series or parallel) to calculate the overall equivalent resistance.

4. Can I use Ohm's Law to calculate the equivalent resistance in a circuit?

Yes, Ohm's Law can be used to calculate the equivalent resistance in a circuit. The equation is R = V/I, where R is the resistance, V is the voltage, and I is the current. However, this method can only be used for simple circuits with a single voltage source and resistors in series or parallel.

5. How does the equivalent resistance affect the overall current in a circuit?

The equivalent resistance in a circuit determines the overall current. According to Ohm's Law (I = V/R), as the resistance increases, the current decreases. So, a higher equivalent resistance will result in a lower overall current in the circuit.