Simple exercise about integrals

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove that a given function G is increasing. The participants consider using the derivative of G to prove this, but encounter difficulty due to the presence of a fraction. They then explore different methods, including using the mean value theorem and the antiderivative of the function f. Ultimately, they are able to prove that G is increasing.
Felafel

Homework Statement

Let ## f: [0, a]## ---> ## \mathbb{R}## be positive and increasing.
Prove that the function G, such that:
##G(x):= \frac{1}{x} \int_0^x f(t)dt## ## x\in (0,a)##
is increasing.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that if the first derivative of a function is positive, that function is increasing.
By definition of primitive function, we have that the derivative of ##\int_0^x f(t)dt## is ##f##, which is positive by hypothesis.
However, i can't handle that ##\frac{1}{x}##. If I derivate it I get ##\frac{1}{x^2}##, making things worse.
What should I do with it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried to write out a formula for [itex]G'(x)[/itex]? (Apply the rule for the derivative of a product.)

awkward said:
Have you tried to write out a formula for [itex]G'(x)[/itex]? (Apply the rule for the derivative of a product.)

yes, and i get ##G ' (x)= -\frac{1}{x^2} \int_0^x f(t)dt + \frac{1}{x} f(x)+c ##
##= \frac{1}{x}(-\frac{1}{x}\int_0^x f(t)dt+f(x)+c)##
but there appears a minus, and i don't know how to go on with the proof

I've had an idea, maybe it's correct:
Let us consider ##G ' (x)##
##\frac{1}{x} ## is a positive number (because x>0 in the hypothesis), so i can do as if it weren't there.
Now,
##-\frac{1}{x} \int_0^x f(t)dt+f(x)+c > 0## if ##f(x)+c > \frac{1}{x} \int_0^x f(t)dt##
But ##f(x)## is the upper bound, so for the integral mean theorem we have:
##f(x) (\frac{1}{x-0}) > \int_0^x f(t)dt> m (\frac{1}{x-0})##
and therefore:
##f(x)+c> (\frac{1}{x})\int_0^x f(t)dt##
QED.
or have I made any mistakes?

For simplicity, let the antiderivative of f be F.
Then,
[tex]-\frac{1}{x}\int_0^x f(t)dt+f(x) = -\frac{1}{x} (F(x) - F(0)) + f(x)[/tex]
We can apply the mean value theorem in reverse:
There exists a point in the interval [0,x] (lets call it c) such that [tex]F'(c) = f(c) = \frac{F(x) - F(0)}{x-0}[/tex]
Then,
[tex]-\frac{1}{x} (F(x) - F(0)) + f(x) = -f(c) + f(x)[/tex]
But f is an increasing function, so f(x) > f(c) because c < x.

Fightfish said:
For simplicity, let the antiderivative of f be F.
Then,
[tex]-\frac{1}{x}\int_0^x f(t)dt+f(x) = -\frac{1}{x} (F(x) - F(0)) + f(x)[/tex]
We can apply the mean value theorem in reverse:
There exists a point in the interval [0,x] (lets call it c) such that [tex]F'(c) = f(c) = \frac{F(x) - F(0)}{x-0}[/tex]
Then,
[tex]-\frac{1}{x} (F(x) - F(0)) + f(x) = -f(c) + f(x)[/tex]
But f is an increasing function, so f(x) > f(c) because c < x.
Great!
Do you think my version above could work as well?
Anyway, loads of thanks!

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve on a graph. It is typically used to find the total value or quantity of something, such as the total distance traveled or the total amount of a certain substance.

2. How do you solve integrals?

Integrals can be solved using various methods, including the fundamental theorem of calculus, integration by substitution, and integration by parts. The specific method used depends on the complexity of the integral and the techniques the individual has learned.

3. What is the purpose of doing simple exercises about integrals?

Simple exercises about integrals help individuals understand the basic concepts and techniques involved in solving integrals. By practicing these exercises, individuals can build their skills and confidence in solving more complex integrals.

4. How can integrals be applied in real life?

Integrals have various applications in real life, including in physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. They can be used to calculate quantities such as work, force, displacement, and probability, making them essential in many scientific and mathematical fields.

5. Can you provide an example of a simple exercise about integrals?

One example of a simple exercise about integrals could be finding the area under the curve y = x^2 between x = 0 and x = 2. This can be solved using the formula for the definite integral, which is (1/3)x^3 evaluated at x = 2 and x = 0. The answer would be 8/3, representing the area under the curve between the given bounds.