Simple Fequency Experiment On Bone (Advice Needed Please)

• Thread starter tom1362
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Experiment
In summary, the conversation revolves around an experiment to find the resonant frequency of a sheep tibia using an electromagnetic shaker and an accelerometer. The individual is having trouble achieving their desired results and is seeking advice on how to calculate the transfer function and find the natural frequency. There is also discussion about potential factors that may affect the results, such as dampening and the complexity of bone structure, and suggestions to test the experimental setup with a simpler object first.
tom1362
"Simple" Fequency Experiment On Bone (Advice Needed Please)

Hi All,

Great Site.

I am trying to find the Resonant Frequency (Natural Frequency) of a Sheep Tibia using an Electromagnetic shaker with an Impedance Head attached as well as an Accelerometer mounted on the opposite end of the Bone to monitor the output repsonse.

I am currently not having great luck in acheiving what i am looking for.

I am holding the bone in a Free-Free end condition, and with a Single Degree Of Freedom. Exciting one end of the bone using the shaker. Obtaining the the response at the opposite end. I was hoping to be able to calculate some sort of transfer function for the Bone (system)

I am using Bruel&Kjaer Labshop as my Hardware & Software which displays both the Time & Frequency domain on screen as i vary the excitation signal (Stepped Sine Wave) .

Is it possible to Calculate this Transfer Function? / Find the Natural Frequency ? / Observe when the bone is appraoching its Natural Frequency on screen ?

Most appreciative for any Help

Kind Regards

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org

The easiest I can think of is to have a running FFT while you are shaking and watch for the peaks. If you do indeed hit the first bend frequency of the bone, that is where you would see it.

Is it possible that you are getting dampening from the inner part of the bone? Are you sure you are putting enough energy into the bone to really excite the modes? Also, have to proven your experimental set up with something simple like a cantillever beam to make sure your data acquisition system is working properly?

Agreed, the structure of bones is extremely complex. Have you tried something simple like plink testing it?

1. How do you conduct a simple frequency experiment on bone?

To conduct a simple frequency experiment on bone, you will need a bone sample, a tuning fork, and a timer. First, place the bone sample on a flat surface and strike the tuning fork against a hard surface to produce a sound. Then, hold the vibrating tuning fork close to the bone sample and time how long it takes for the bone to vibrate and produce a sound. Repeat this process multiple times and record the results.

2. What is the purpose of a simple frequency experiment on bone?

The purpose of a simple frequency experiment on bone is to determine the natural frequency or resonant frequency of the bone. This can provide information about the bone's structural integrity and potential bone diseases.

3. What factors can affect the results of a simple frequency experiment on bone?

The results of a simple frequency experiment on bone can be affected by various factors such as the bone's size, shape, density, and composition. The temperature and humidity can also affect the bone's resonance frequency.

4. How can the results of a simple frequency experiment on bone be interpreted?

The results of a simple frequency experiment on bone can be interpreted by analyzing the time it takes for the bone to vibrate and produce a sound. A shorter time indicates a higher resonance frequency, which can suggest a healthy bone. A longer time may indicate a lower resonance frequency, which can indicate a potential bone disease or structural abnormalities.

5. What are the limitations of a simple frequency experiment on bone?

One limitation of a simple frequency experiment on bone is that it only provides information about the bone's natural frequency and not its mechanical properties. It also cannot distinguish between different types of bone diseases or structural abnormalities. Additionally, the results may vary depending on the equipment used and the person conducting the experiment.