1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple fundemental Electromagnetics question

1. Mar 27, 2014 #1
    I'm just trying to get my head around electromagnetics for the first time, and need help understanding a question that asks:

"Using BH curves find the maximum permeability of the cast iron forming the magnetic path."

Now from wikipedia I know that the permeability of cast iron should be around 0.25H/m.

What I don't understand is how to get this quantity from a B-H curve like this one:
    http://imgur.com/eiv6IuN

Now what I do understand is that permeability is given by B/H essentially. That would imply it is the gradient of these lines.

So to find the maximum permeability all we need to d is find the point with the most positive gradient.

Is this logical correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2014 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It depends on what permeability you have in mind.

For small perturbations about an operating point H, the slope of the B-H curve is the permeability. In other words, dB/dH. It would be called dynamic permeability.

But one can also talk of static permeability. To get it, you again pick your operating point H along the B-H curve but now permeability is simply B/H.

In both cases the hysteresis curves show that the B corresponding to your picked H depends on the history of applied H.

I'm sorry, your image does not show on my computer.

4. Mar 27, 2014 #3

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

The image referred to by Learnphysics ...

eiv6IuN.png

5. Mar 27, 2014 #4

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Thanks Nascent. As i suspected, those are not hysteresis curves, avoiding the ambiguity I referred to as 'history'.

so my first comment applies except ignore the bit about history.

@nascent - any idea why my pc didn't show the image?

6. Mar 27, 2014 #5

NascentOxygen

Yes, poster cited as an image a URL which is not an image file. Incorrect use of

7. Mar 27, 2014 #6

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

8. Mar 27, 2014 #7

NascentOxygen

I found OP's URL and fed it to the browser, and copied the URL of the image that came up.

9. Mar 27, 2014 #8

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Thanks!
    rm

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted