Relative permeabilities in steel datasheets

In summary: The magnetic permeability (mho) is related to the magnetic flux density (B) by mu_r = B/u_0. The magnetic permeability is a measure of the ability of a material to resist the flow of magnetic field.
Steradiant
TL;DR Summary
How to interpret the data in an electric steel datasheet?
Hello,
I have a question regarding BH-curves and relative permeabilities from electrical steel datasheets. When e.g. looking at the datasheet from the isovac 330-35A there is the data for the J/H-curve. I calculated B=mu_0*H + J and mu_r=B/(mu_0*H). When evaluating this calculation pointwise with the the data from the table, I don't get the same mu_r/J curve as shown in the datasheet. My maximum mu_r is 7.07e3 instead of 8.23e3. What am I not considering?

Engineering news on Phys.org
(2nd edit ... hmmm ... on second thoughts I agree that doesn't look quite right in the data sheet)

Last edited:
I took a preliminary look at this specification sheet. The first thing that confuses me is that it seems to use the "J/H magnetization curve" instead of the "B/H magnetization curve". People usually use B to represent the magnetic flux density, but in this specification use J to represent.

alan123hk said:
I took a preliminary look at this specification sheet. The first thing that confuses me is that it seems to use the "J/H magnetization curve" instead of the "B/H magnetization curve". People usually use B to represent the magnetic flux density, but in this specification use J to represent.
It's giving AC values. B is usually a letter for DC flux. I assume they are using J to denote it is an AC flux.

I originally looked at that thinking they'd plotted initial (DC) permeability on the first graph (and labelled it wrong) and assumed the OP was talking about that (which is ALSO a difference with the graphs). But the data itself in that table doesn't calculate through.

If they have in mind that there is some sort of adjustment for AC then I am not sure what that is. They seem to have used a value for uo of about 1.1e-6 instead of 1.25e-6 to arrive at their permeability values. I don't know maybe there is some sort of adjustment for this sort of AC calculation but I have never heard of it.

At this point I'd be contacting the vendors for a clarification.

Steradiant said:
I calculated B=mu_0*H + J and mu_r=B/(mu_0*H)
I can understand that ## ~u_r = \frac B {u_0H} ##, but I don't quite understand why ##~~B=u_0H+J##.

Do you think ##J## is related to the vector current density and magnetization vector ##M## of ferromagnetic materials ? But according to the specification, the unit of ##J## is mt (millitesla), so it should represent the magnetic flux density.

Steradiant said:
My maximum mu_r is 7.07e3 instead of 8.23e3. What am I not considering?
Could you please elaborate on how you calculated this result ?

In table on page 2 they list the magnetic polarization in Tesla. Therefore I assumed, that J in the Table is the magnetic polarization (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetization#Magnetic_polarization). As far as I know it's pretty common to use the magnetic polarization instead of the magnetic flux density in the material characterization.

mu_r = 1+J/(mu_0*H) = 1+0.8/(mu_0*90) = 7074.55

1. What is relative permeability in steel datasheets?

Relative permeability is a measure of how easily a magnetic field can pass through a material, compared to air. In steel datasheets, it is used to determine the magnetic properties of the steel and its suitability for different applications.

2. How is relative permeability measured in steel datasheets?

Relative permeability is measured using a device called a permeameter, which applies a known magnetic field to the steel and measures the resulting magnetic flux. The ratio of the magnetic flux in the steel to the magnetic flux in air gives the relative permeability.

3. What factors affect the relative permeability of steel?

The relative permeability of steel can be affected by factors such as composition, heat treatment, and grain structure. Alloying elements, impurities, and the presence of non-metallic inclusions can also impact the relative permeability of steel.

4. Why is relative permeability important in steel datasheets?

Relative permeability is an important factor to consider in steel datasheets because it affects the magnetic properties of the steel. This can impact the performance of the steel in applications such as motors, transformers, and electromagnetic devices.

5. How can relative permeability be improved in steel?

The relative permeability of steel can be improved by controlling the composition and microstructure of the steel during the manufacturing process. This can include adding alloying elements, removing impurities, and optimizing heat treatment processes.