Simple Harmonic Motion: 5kg Particle Suspended by 500 N/m String

In summary: This is the defining equation of simple harmonic motion.Therefore, the particle moves with simple harmonic motion. In summary, a 5 kg mass is suspended from a fixed point by a light elastic string with an elastic constant of 500 N/m. When pulled down 20 cm from equilibrium and released, the particle moves with simple harmonic motion.
markosheehan
A particle of mass 5 kg is suspended from a fixed point by a light elastic string
which hangs vertically. The elastic constant of the string is 500 N/m.
The mass is pulled down a vertical distance of 20 cm from the equilibrium
position and is then released from rest.
(i) Show that the particle moves with simple harmonic motion.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
markosheehan said:
A particle of mass 5 kg is suspended from a fixed point by a light elastic string
which hangs vertically. The elastic constant of the string is 500 N/m.
The mass is pulled down a vertical distance of 20 cm from the equilibrium
position and is then released from rest.
(i) Show that the particle moves with simple harmonic motion.

Hi markosheehan! ;)

An elastic string provides a force that is linear with the displacement from the rest position.
As a consequence we have simple harmonic motion.
If we want to prove it, we have to set up the equation of motion and solve it.
Care to give it a try?

For the record, we expect some kind of attempt or explanation where you're stuck, if only to figure out how to help you best.

what i tryed to do was find the force down and the force up find the resultant force and let it equal to F=5a and then that would prove it but to do this when i am finding the force in the string i need the natural length of the string but it is not given in the question. to find the force up i use F=k(length-natural length)

markosheehan said:
what i tryed to do was find the force down and the force up find the resultant force and let it equal to F=5a and then that would prove it but to do this when i am finding the force in the string i need the natural length of the string but it is not given in the question. to find the force up i use F=k(length-natural length)

We don't need the natural length.
When the string has its natural length, the elastic force is zero.
The elastic force is proportional with the change in its natural length.

So let's start with the position in equilibrium.
Then the force of gravity is equal and opposite the elastic force.
That is:
$$F_g = F_e \quad\Rightarrow\quad mg = k\Delta y \quad\Rightarrow\quad 50 = 500 \Delta y\quad\Rightarrow\quad \Delta y = 0.10 \text{ m}$$

Now initially we pull the mass $20 \text{ cm}$ down and we let go.
Then we have:
$$F_{net} = F_e - F_g = ky-mg = 500y-50 = 500(y-0.10)$$

In other words, the net force is proportional to the distance from the equilibrium position.

What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion where an object oscillates back and forth around a central equilibrium point with a constant amplitude and period. It occurs when a restoring force is proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium point.

What is a 5kg particle suspended by a 500 N/m string?

A 5kg particle suspended by a 500 N/m string is a physical system where a 5kg object is attached to a string with a spring constant of 500 N/m and allowed to move freely. This system can exhibit simple harmonic motion if the object is displaced from its equilibrium position and released.

How is the period of simple harmonic motion calculated?

The period of simple harmonic motion can be calculated using the formula T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the period, m is the mass of the object, and k is the spring constant of the restoring force.

What factors affect the frequency of simple harmonic motion?

The frequency of simple harmonic motion is affected by the mass of the object, the spring constant of the restoring force, and the amplitude of the oscillation. A higher mass or spring constant will result in a lower frequency, while a larger amplitude will result in a higher frequency.

How does damping affect simple harmonic motion?

Damping is the process of reducing the amplitude of an oscillation over time. In simple harmonic motion, damping can reduce the amplitude and change the frequency of the oscillation. This can be caused by external forces, such as air resistance or friction, or by the inherent properties of the system, such as the elasticity of the spring.