Simple Harmonic Motion and parallel-axis-theorem

In summary, the conversation discussed two problems involving physical pendulums and a metal rod undergoing simple harmonic motion. In the first problem, the parallel-axis theorem was used to show that g = L(2\pi/T)^2 when two pivot points on opposite sides of the center of mass have the same period. In the second problem, the rod was attached to a spring and it was shown that the motion is simple harmonic if the angle is small enough. The period was calculated using the linear approximation of sin(\theta) =~ \theta.
Thomas_
Hello,

I have problems solving the following two problems:
1)You measure the period of a physical pendulum about one pivot point to be T. Then you find another pivot point on the opposite side of the center of mass that gives the same period. The two points are separated by a distance L. Use the parallel-axis-theorem to show that [tex]g = L(2\pi/T)^2[/tex]

2)A slender, uniform, metal rod with mass M is pivoted without friction about an axis through its midpoint and perpendicular to the rod. A horizontal spring with force constant k is attached to the lower end of the rod, with the other end of the spring attached to a rigid support. If the rod is displaced by a small angle [tex]\theta[/tex] from the vertical and released, show that it moves in angular SHM and calculate the period (Hint: Assume that the angle is small enough so that [tex]sin(\theta) =~ \theta[/tex]and [tex]cos(\theta) =~ 1[/tex]. The motion is simple harmonic if [tex]d^2\theta/dt^2[/tex] = [tex]-\omega^2\theta[/tex]

http://img161.imageshack.us/img161/2448/clipboard01jc0.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------

For 1)
The period for a physical Pendulum around P is given by:

[tex]T=2\pi \sqrt{\frac{I_p}{MgL}}[/tex]

The Parallel axis theorem is:

[tex]I_p = I_{cm} + Md^2[/tex] (d is distance from the center of mass).

As far as I understand the problem, L = 2d. However, I can't seem to figure it out. Solving for g gives me:

[tex]g = (\frac{2\pi}{T})^2 \frac{I_p}{ML} [/tex]

I don't know how [tex]\frac{I_p}{ML} [/tex] is supposed to become L.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

For 2) I don't know where to start here. I can't even imagine how this rod would undergo any kind of harmonic motion. The picture confuses me and I can't imagine the rod moving.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
In the second problem, the spring imparts a force kx to the end of the rod, where k is the spring constant and x is the displacement of the traveling end of the spring (and end of rod) from the equilibrium position (zero spring force).

x is also L/2 sin [itex]\theta[/itex], where L is the length of the rod.

If the angle is very small, we approximate [tex]sin(\theta) =~ \theta[/tex] in order to make a linear differential equation.

Last edited:
Astronuc said:
In the second problem, the spring imparts a force kx to the end of the rod, where k is the spring constant and x is the displacement of the traveling end of the spring (and end of rod) from the equilibrium position (zero spring force).

x is also L/2 sin [itex]\theta[/itex], where L is the length of the rod.

If the angle is very small, we approximate [tex]sin(\theta) =~ \theta[/tex] in order to make a linear differential equation.
Hm, thank you.

I used [tex]\sum\tau = I\alpha)[/tex]
and came up with:
[tex]\sum\tau = -k\frac{L}{2}sin(\theta)(\frac{L}{2}cos(\theta)) = -k\frac{L^2}{4}\theta[/tex]

[tex] => I\alpha + k\frac{L^2}{4}\theta = I\frac{d^2\theta}{dt^2} + k\frac{L^2}{4}\theta = 0[/tex]
That should be SHM.

However, how do they get to [tex]\frac{d^2\theta}{dt^2} = -\omega^2\theta[/tex] ?

Also, any ideas for Problem 1)?

Well - in the second problem, [itex]\omega^2[/itex] would = k/m, and 1/m is related to L2/I.

I seen in the first problem that g is an acceleration based on units of L/T2, so is there a way to relate angular acceleration (which is the same for any point in a rigid body) to that of the linear acceleration, which varies with the distance from the pivot to the location of interest?

Astronuc said:
I seen in the first problem that g is an acceleration based on units of L/T2, so is there a way to relate angular acceleration (which is the same for any point in a rigid body) to that of the linear acceleration, which varies with the distance from the pivot to the location of interest?
I can't follow you on this one. Yes, I know that [tex]a_{tan}=r\alpha[/tex] for a rigid body, but I don't see any angular/linear accelerations in the equation we would have to "convert". My goal is to get [tex]g=(\frac{2\pi}{T})^2L[/tex]

1. What is Simple Harmonic Motion?

Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM) is a type of oscillatory motion in which a body moves back and forth around an equilibrium position, with a constant amplitude and a period that is independent of the amplitude. It occurs when the restoring force on a body is proportional to the displacement of the body from its equilibrium position.

2. What is the formula for Simple Harmonic Motion?

The formula for Simple Harmonic Motion is x = A sin(ωt + φ), where x is the displacement of the body from its equilibrium position, A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, t is the time, and φ is the phase angle.

3. What is the parallel-axis theorem?

The parallel-axis theorem is a theorem in mechanics that states that the moment of inertia of a rigid body about any axis parallel to an axis through the center of mass is equal to the moment of inertia about the parallel axis through the center of mass plus the product of the mass and the square of the distance between the two axes.

4. How is the parallel-axis theorem used in Simple Harmonic Motion?

The parallel-axis theorem is used in Simple Harmonic Motion to calculate the moment of inertia of a body when it is rotating about an axis that is not through its center of mass. This is important in understanding the motion of objects such as a pendulum or a mass on a spring, which exhibit Simple Harmonic Motion.

5. What are some real-life examples of Simple Harmonic Motion?

Some real-life examples of Simple Harmonic Motion include the motion of a pendulum, the oscillation of a spring, the motion of a mass on a vibrating spring, and the swinging of a child on a swing. These motions can also be observed in the movement of a clock's pendulum, the vibrations of a guitar string, and the motion of a diving board.