1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Harmonic Motion Equilibrium

1. Nov 28, 2013 #1
    I am a little confused with this subject. If you have a mass hanging from a spring, there is a specific equilibrium point, but what if you apply a force downwards on the mass, will this have an effect on the equilibrium position or will it remain the same?

thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2013 #2

TumblingDice

Gold Member

If the force is applied continuously, it would be added to the current downward force of the mass, and (Edit) the system would establish a new equilibrium point. Is that what you meant?

Last edited: Nov 28, 2013
  4. Nov 28, 2013 #3

TumblingDice

Gold Member

My first reply was poor to incorrect. I think when you said apply a force, you meant adding energy to the system, like pushing down on the mass. That would not change the equilibrium point. Sorry for being too hasty.:blushing:

5. Nov 28, 2013 #4
    yes that is what I meant, thanks!

6. Nov 28, 2013 #5

TumblingDice

Gold Member

My post #3 crossed paths with your reply at about the same time. Please read!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook