Simple harmonic motion in an accelerating car

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the time period of a pendulum attached to a car accelerating with a constant acceleration of ##A##. The speaker knows that the time period can be found using the "effective" g method, but wants to derive it from first principles. They provide an equation involving the displacement and acceleration of the pendulum, and after using small angle approximations, they ask for help in simplifying the equation and determining the correct constant of proportionality.
EddiePhys
There's a pendulum attached to a car accelerating with ##A##. I know I can find it's time period using the "effective" g method, but I want to find it from first principles.

My attempt:
##tan\theta = A/g##
Now I displace it by ##\alpha## giving ##mgsin(\theta+\alpha)-mAcos(\theta+\alpha) = ma##

Expanding this and using small angle approximations:

##gsin\theta+g\alpha cos\theta-Acos\theta + A\alpha sin\theta = a##

Where did I go wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you simplify your last equation with your first? Does the result look like ##\ddot\alpha\propto-\alpha##? If so, is the constant of proportionality what you expect from doing it the easy way? Is its sign right?

You also need to express a as a function of α.

Ibix said:
Can you simplify your last equation with your first? Does the result look like ##\ddot\alpha\propto-\alpha##? If so, is the constant of proportionality what you expect from doing it the easy way? Is its sign right?

I got it. Thanks!

1. What is simple harmonic motion in an accelerating car?

Simple harmonic motion in an accelerating car refers to the repetitive back-and-forth motion of objects in the car as it accelerates. This motion is caused by the interaction between the car's acceleration and the force of gravity acting on the objects.

2. How does the acceleration of the car affect simple harmonic motion?

The acceleration of the car directly affects the frequency and amplitude of the simple harmonic motion. As the car accelerates, the objects inside the car experience a changing acceleration, leading to changes in the motion of the objects.

3. What factors can influence the amplitude of simple harmonic motion in an accelerating car?

The amplitude of simple harmonic motion in an accelerating car can be influenced by the acceleration of the car, the mass of the objects inside the car, and the angle at which the car is accelerating.

4. How is the frequency of simple harmonic motion related to the acceleration of the car?

The frequency of simple harmonic motion is directly proportional to the acceleration of the car. This means that as the car accelerates, the frequency of the motion increases, and vice versa.

5. Can simple harmonic motion occur in a car that is not accelerating?

Yes, simple harmonic motion can occur in a car that is not accelerating, as long as there is a restoring force acting on the objects inside the car. This could be due to the car driving over a bumpy road or experiencing vibrations from the engine.