1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Simple Harmonic Motion, platform and box

1. Apr 6, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A platform moves up and down in SHM, with amplitude 0.035 m. Resting on top of the platform is a block of wood. What is the shortest period of motion for the platform so that the block will remain in constant contact with it?

2. Relevant equations

a(t)=-A[tex]\omega[/tex]^2cos([tex]\omega[/tex]t+phase constant)
    amax=A[tex]\omega[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I didn't see how I could possibly use the first one with so many unknowns so I used amax=A[tex]\omega[/tex] and set amax=9.8 figuring that the amount couldn't be more than gravity otherwise the block and platform would separate (maybe I'm wrong in this).
    And so I set 9.8=.035[tex]\omega[/tex] and solved (getting 280). The I used [tex]\omega[/tex]=2[tex]\pi[/tex]f and solving for f (getting 140/[tex]\pi[/tex]) and then using f=1/T and solved for T getting .0224 which was incorrect.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2010 #2

ehild

Homework Helper

Check your formula for amax, it is not correct.

ehild

4. Apr 6, 2010 #3
    Oh, it came out funny. It's supposed to be amax=A x omega. Is this still incorrect? If it is, I really need to throw a fit about a refund.

5. Apr 6, 2010 #4

ehild

Homework Helper

No, see the previous line. a must be m/s2, yours is m/s.

ehild

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook