Simple Harmonic Oscillator Equation Solutions

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the frequency of two solutions to a harmonic oscillator equation, with the goal of checking their accuracy. The frequency is calculated using the equation f = ω/2π, where ω is determined to be 3 and π/2 for the first and second solutions, respectively. Plugging these values into the equation yields frequencies of 0.48 and 0.25, respectively.
logan3
These are practice problems, not homework. Just wanting to check to see if my process and solutions are correct.

1. Given the following functions as solutions to a harmonic oscillator equation, find the frequency f correct to two significant figures:

f(x) = e-3it
f(x) = e-[itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex]it

2. Harmonic oscillator equation:
[itex]\frac{d^{2}y}{dt^{2}} = -ω^{2}y[/itex]

frequency (f) = [itex]\frac{ω}{2\pi}[/itex]3. Since a solution to the harmonic oscillator equation can be in the form of e-iωt, then ω = 3 in the first solution and [itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex] in the second. Plugging both of these into the frequency equations yields:

f = [itex]\frac{3}{2\pi} = 0.48[/itex] and

f = [itex]\frac{\frac{\pi}{2}}{2\pi} = 0.25[/itex]

Thank-you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
OK. Oh, I need a minimum of 4 characters/
Ok Ok.

Sorry, I don't understand your post.

logan3 said:
Sorry, I don't understand your post.

I meant to say I agree with you.

Your process and solutions are correct. Good job! Just a small note, in the second solution, the frequency should be f = ω/2π = π/4π = 0.25. Keep up the good work!

1. What is the Simple Harmonic Oscillator Equation?

The Simple Harmonic Oscillator Equation is a mathematical model that describes the motion of a particle undergoing simple harmonic motion. It is represented by the equation x=Acos(ωt+φ), where x is the displacement of the particle, A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase shift.

2. What are the solutions to the Simple Harmonic Oscillator Equation?

The solutions to the Simple Harmonic Oscillator Equation are x(t)=Acos(ωt+φ), y(t)=Asin(ωt+φ), and z(t)=Acos(ωt+φ), where x, y, and z represent the displacement in different directions (e.g. x-axis, y-axis, z-axis).

3. How is the Simple Harmonic Oscillator Equation used in physics?

The Simple Harmonic Oscillator Equation is used to model the motion of a wide range of physical systems, such as pendulums, springs, and atoms. It helps to understand and predict the behavior of these systems under the influence of a restoring force.

4. What is the significance of the amplitude in the Simple Harmonic Oscillator Equation?

The amplitude in the Simple Harmonic Oscillator Equation represents the maximum displacement of the particle from its equilibrium position. It is a measure of the energy of the system and determines the size of the oscillations. A larger amplitude results in a higher energy and larger oscillations.

5. How does the angular frequency affect the motion described by the Simple Harmonic Oscillator Equation?

The angular frequency, represented by ω, determines the speed at which the particle oscillates. A higher angular frequency results in a faster oscillation, while a lower angular frequency results in a slower oscillation. It is directly proportional to the frequency of the oscillation, which is the number of complete cycles per unit time.