Proving Inequalities with Induction: Examples and Strategies

• Thread starter MathematicalPhysicist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequalities
In summary, the conversation discusses proving three statements: (1) (1+1/n)^n<3 for every n>=3, (2) (x^n+y^n)/2>=((x+y)/2)^n for every natural n and every x,y>=0, and (3) |a+1/a|>=2 for every a different than 0. The individual has tried using induction and the fact of increasing and decreasing sequences but has gotten stuck. They are seeking guidance on how to proceed with each statement. The expert advises to continue with the given methods and offers specific tips for each statement. Finally, the individual expresses gratitude and the expert responds with encouragement.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
i need to prove the following:
1)(1+1/n)^n<3 for every n>=3.
2) (x^n+y^n)/2>=((x+y)/2)^n for every n natural and every x,y>=0.
3) |a+1/a|>=2 for every a different than 0.

for the first i thought to use induction and to use the fact of increasing sequence (1+1/n)^n or of the decreasing sequence (1+1/n)^n+1, but i didnt get much far, i also tried to use the fact of 1/n<=1/3, but I am stuck.

for the second i tried by induction: ((x+y)/2)^n+1<=(x^n+y^n)/2(x+y)/2 but I am also stuck.
for the third i tried dissecting it into parts, i.e 0<a<1 a>1 or -1<a<0 a<-1 but i got stuck in a>1.
i mean for a>1 we can write a=h+1 when h>1 and thus h+1+1/(h+1)>2+1/(h+1)>2 but I am having a problem with 0<h<1 then 1<h+1<2 1/2<1/(h+1)<1
3/2+h<1+h+1/(h+1) but form here i couldn't conclude that it's bigger than 2.

Physics news on Phys.org
For the first, start by showing that sequence is bounded above by the other definition of e in terms of the sum of the inverse factorials, and then bound that series by a geometric series.

For the second, you're on the right track. Try to write what you get from that product as a sum of the expression you want ([itex](x^{n+1}+y^{n+1})/2[/itex]), and some other term, and show this extra term is nonpositive, so that the product is less than or equal to the expression you want.

Finally, for the last, focus on a>0, and note that your're trying to show there are no solutions to a+1/a<2. This can be rewritten as a quadratic inequality that you can show to have no real solutions.

but from the prodcut i get [(x^(n+1)+y^(n+1))/2+(x^ny+y^nx)/2]/2 how do i show that it's less than (x^(n+1)+y^(n+1))/2?
i mean obviously x^ny+xy^n is positive cause x,y>=0
for the first question, how would i solve this question without the knowledge of e and its definition?

and about the last question, **** it was that easy. (-:
thanks.

1. Keep going. You know what you want, so just subtract what you found from this, and show what you get is positive (pay attention to factors of 2 and 4).

2. You don't need to assume anything, just show:

[tex](1+\frac{1}{n})^n \leq \sum_{m=0}^\infty \frac{1}{m!} [/tex]

expand the LHS and this shouldn't be too hard.

ok, thanks.
btw what's wrong with the latex?

What is the concept of proving inequalities with induction?

Proving inequalities with induction is a mathematical technique used to prove that a certain statement is true for all values in a specific range. It involves using logical reasoning and mathematical induction to show that the statement holds for the base case, and then using the inductive hypothesis to prove that it also holds for the next case.

What are some common examples of using induction to prove inequalities?

Some common examples include proving that the sum of the first n positive integers is equal to n(n+1)/2, showing that 2^n > n^2 for all positive integers n, and proving that the Fibonacci sequence is strictly increasing.

What are the key strategies for proving inequalities with induction?

The key strategies include carefully choosing the base case, using the inductive hypothesis to prove the next case, and using algebraic manipulations to simplify the inequality. It is also important to pay attention to the range of values and make sure the statement holds for all values within that range.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when proving inequalities with induction?

One common mistake is assuming that the statement holds for all values without properly proving it for the base case. It is also important to make sure that the inductive hypothesis is used correctly and that the algebraic manipulations are done accurately. Another mistake is using an incorrect range of values, which can lead to an incorrect proof.

How can proving inequalities with induction be applied in real-life situations?

Proving inequalities with induction can be applied in various fields, such as economics, statistics, and computer science. In economics, it can be used to analyze trends and make predictions. In statistics, it can be used to prove the properties of certain distributions. In computer science, it can be used to analyze the efficiency of algorithms and data structures.