1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Integration by substitution

1. Feb 19, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find by letting [tex]U^2=(4 + x^2) [/tex]the following [tex] \int_0^2\frac{x}{\sqrt{4 + x^2}}dx[/tex]?
    I can solve it by letting [tex]\mbox{x=2} tan(\theta)[/tex], But I want to be able to do it by substitution.
    3. The attempt at a solution
    [tex] \frac{du}{dx}=\frac{d\sqrt{(4+x^2)}}{dx}=\frac{x}{\sqrt{4+x^2}}\mbox{, therefore du}=\frac{x}{u^\frac{1}{2}}\times dx\\[/tex] Therefore the integral is [tex] \int_{x=0}^{x=2}\frac{1}{u^\frac{1}{2}}du=[/tex]0.26757, it should be [tex] 2(\sqrt{2}-1)[/tex]. Can you tell me where I went wrong. Thanks for the help.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What happened to the x in the above expression for du? Did you just drop it?

4. Feb 19, 2007 #3
    There is a mistake in the equation, it should be [tex]\int_0^2\frac{x}{\sqrt{4+x^2}}dx[/tex]. And the answer I then get =.5351. And thanks for the quick reply.

5. Feb 19, 2007 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ah, ha. Then you want to evaluate the final integral between the u limits, not the x limits.

6. Feb 19, 2007 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

And something is going awry here. A sqrt(u) would be the 4th root of 4+x^2. You are being sloppy.

7. Feb 19, 2007 #6
    I know there is something awry in the calculation, maybe you can find what I did wrong. Since [tex]u^2=4+x^2 [/tex] that implies [tex] u=\sqrt{4+x^2}[/tex] and [tex] \frac{du}{dx}[/tex] expression follows.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2007
  8. Feb 19, 2007 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This shows du=(x*dx)/u. Not u^(1/2).

9. Feb 19, 2007 #8
    First try substituting u=4+x²⇒du=2xdx⇒(1/2)du=xdx for the substitution part
    that should be a lot easier . you are still heading the right direction
    (1/2)∫(1/(u^{1/2}))du= √u
    I think you can take it from here

10. Feb 19, 2007 #9

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

He can also do it with his substitution. He just needs to be more careful of exactly what that is. :smile:

11. Feb 20, 2007 #10
    Thanks for the help lads I at last got it out using my substitution.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?