Simple integration problem:help

• Thread starter Wonderland
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, you can't integrate e^2lnx because e^2lnx is the inverse function of e^x. You can use the fact that ln(x) is the inverse function of e^x to simplify the expression to x^2.
Wonderland
Hi everyone,

I just started to study Physics and I have a very simple question about integration. I'm blocked on this for a while. I'm trying to solve a differential equation for which I need to integrate the expression:
∫(e^2lnx)(10x)dx

Does someone can tell me how to do it? I can't find this exact expression in formulas, and I've tried substitution with u = e^2lnx or with u = 2lnx and I've also tried to use ∫u'v = uv - ∫ uv' ... doesn't seem to work. Any idea?

Thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
Eeh, are talking about:
[tex]e^{2\ln(x)}[/tex]
In that case, use the fact that ln(x) is the inverse function of e^x

Thank you, so e^2ln(x) = 2x?? I know the rule e^lna = a but here it is e^blna that makes me confused. Is the rule here e^(bln(a)) = ba?

Think about the following:

How can you rewrite, by rules for exponentiation for real numbers:
[tex](a^{b})^{c}=??[/tex]

a^bc of course

Of course!
:smile:

So, if you have e^(2*ln(x)), can you utilize the above identity in a clever way to simplify your expression, say by starting with: e^(2*ln(x))=e^(ln(x)*2)

so here, it would be (e^2)(e^lnx) = x(e^2), you mean I should just see e^2 as a constant and taking it out of the integration?

Wonderland said:
so here, it would be (e^2)(e^lnx) = x(e^2), you mean I should just see e^2 as a constant and taking it out of the integration?
Eeh, no.
Think again.

Would it be (e^2)(e^lnx) = x^2? It doesn't seem right...

it would mean that e^blna = a^b

Wonderland said:
it would mean that e^blna = a^b

Yup!

Would it be (e^2)(e^lnx) = x^2? It doesn't seem right.
Your LHS is wrong, due to a faulty application of the rule.

e^(2*ln(x))=x^2

Phewww! Thanks!:-):-)

You're welcome!

Related to Simple integration problem:help

1. What is integration?

Integration is a mathematical technique used to find the area under a curve. It is also known as anti-derivative, as it is the opposite of differentiation.

2. What is a simple integration problem?

A simple integration problem involves finding the integral of a basic function, such as polynomials, trigonometric functions, or exponential functions. These problems typically do not involve complex techniques or multiple variables.

3. How do I solve a simple integration problem?

To solve a simple integration problem, you can use basic integration rules, such as the power rule, product rule, or chain rule. It is important to also identify the limits of integration and use them to evaluate the integral.

4. What are the common mistakes to avoid in simple integration problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid in simple integration problems include forgetting to add the constant of integration, mixing up the limits of integration, or making errors in algebraic calculations. It is important to double-check your work and be careful with signs and terms.

5. Can I use a calculator to solve simple integration problems?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve simple integration problems. However, it is important to understand the steps and techniques involved in solving the problem by hand before relying on a calculator. Also, make sure to use a reliable calculator with the correct settings for integration.