Simple Line Integral in Complex Numbers

In summary, the author finds a function that satisfies the condition ##F'(z) = f(z) = z + \frac{1}{z}##, and then finds that the integral of this function is 16 - \frac{15}{2} + ln(40) - ln(17) + i \left[16 + tan^{-1}(\frac{1}{3}) - tan^{-1}(\frac{1}{4})\right].
Tsunoyukami
"Simple" Line Integral in Complex Numbers

If anyone could please double-check my final result for this question it would be greatly appreciated. Rather than write out each step explicitly, I'll explain my approach and write out only the most important parts.

"[E]valuate the given integral...

10. ##\int_{\gamma} (z + \frac{1}{z}) dz##,

where ##\gamma## is any curve in ##Im z > 0## joining ##-4+i## to ##6+2i##." (Complex Variables, 2nd edition; Stephen D. Fisher, pg. 117)

In general we can find a function ##F(z)## such that ##F'(z) = f(z)##. Then ##\int_{\gamma} f(z) dz = F(b) - F(a)## where a and b are the staring and end points, respectively.

This question has ##f(z) = (z + \frac{1}{z})##; therefore, we can find ##F(z) = \frac{z^{2}}{2} + log(z)##. Setting ##a = -4 + i## and ##b = 6 +2i## we find the following:

$$\int_{\gamma} (z + \frac{1}{z}) dz = \frac{(6+2i)^{2}}{2} + log(6+2i) - \left[\frac{(-4+i)^{2}}{2} + log(-4+1)\right]$$

I will skip my algebra, but this is my final result.

$$\int_{\gamma} (z + \frac{1}{z}) dz = 16 - \frac{15}{2} + ln(40) - ln(17) + i \left[16 + tan^{-1}(\frac{1}{3}) - tan^{-1}(\frac{1}{4})\right]$$

I would appreciate it greatly if someone could check and verify my answer for me. Thanks a bunch!

Note: Here I used the fact that ##log(z) = ln|z| + iarg(z)##.

Physics news on Phys.org
To check your answer, use the definition of a contour integral and use the parametrization [itex]\displaystyle z = t + \frac{i}{5}(t+4)[/itex] from [itex]t = -4[/itex] to [itex]t=6[/itex] to integrate the function given to you. If your answer is correct, it must match the answer obtained from this integral.

Just to be sure, my result should match the integral obtained for any curve connecting the start and end point in my original post that lies entirely in I am z > 0, correct? If this is so I could use any parametrization for ##\gamma## that I thought would be "easiest", correct?

I am unfamiliar with the parametrization you have suggested; does this parametrize a line segment? How did you arrive at this parametrization? Just curious to see other useful methods of parametrizing curves. :)

EDIT: Unless my above idea is incorrect (ie. that any curve connecting these two points in this domain should yield the same result) I've been getting different answers. I used the parametrization provided by Millennial as well as a parametrization connecting the two points in straight line (ie. ##\gamma = tz_{2} + (1-t)z_{1}##) and computed different results using wolfram alpha, none of which agreed with my original result. I have no issue accepting that my original result is incorrect, but am confused by the fact that the two line integrals yielded different results...

Let me double-check what you meant by contour integral, as I am unfamiliar with the terminology.

$$\int_{\gamma} f(z) dz = \int_{a}^{b} f(\gamma(t)) \cdot \gamma '(t) dt$$

Is this what you meant by contour integral?

For the sake of completeness and because I have yet to determine whether or not my solution is correct I will post my algebra; hopefully someone can point out where I've gone wrong if I have done so:

$$\int_{\gamma} f(z) dz = \int_{\gamma} \left( z + \frac{1}{z} \right) dz$$

Then I find a function ##F(z)## that satisfies the condition ##F'(z) = f(z) = z + \frac{1}{z}##; this function is ##F(z) = \frac{z^{2}}{2} + log(z)##. I can then write:

$$\int_{\gamma} \left( z + \frac{1}{z} \right) dz = \int_{\gamma} f(z) dz = \int_{\gamma} F'(z) dz = F(b) - F(a)$$

Using the ##F(z)## found above and the points ##a = (-4 +i)## and ##b = (6 +2i)##:

$$F(b) - F(a) = \left( \frac{b^{2}}{2} + log(b) \right) - \left( \frac{a^{2}}{2} + log(a) \right) = \frac{(6 +2i)^{2}}{2} + log(6+2i) - \frac{(-4+i)^{2}}{2} - log(-4+i)$$

$$F(b) - F(a) = \frac{36 +24i -4}{2} + ln\left|6+2i\right| + iarg(6+2i) - \frac{16-8i-1}{2} - ln\left|i -4\right| - iarg(i-4)$$

$$F(b) - F(a) = \frac{32-24i}{2} + ln\left( (36+4)^{\frac{1}{2}}\right) + iarctan(2/6)...$$

Now at this point I realize I forgot to take the square root while computing the modulus required by the complex representation of the logarithm function, so I'm going to try plugging these numbers into wolfram to see if I get the same result...I guess sometimes just working through it repeatedly is the trick! (I'll be back if it doesn't work out...)

Last edited:

1. What is a simple line integral in complex numbers?

A simple line integral in complex numbers is a mathematical tool used to calculate the area under a curve in the complex plane. It is similar to a regular line integral, but instead of integrating along a real-valued curve, it integrates along a complex-valued curve.

2. How is a simple line integral calculated?

A simple line integral is calculated by first parameterizing the curve in the complex plane, then integrating the complex-valued function along that curve. This involves breaking the curve into small segments and approximating the integral using Riemann sums.

3. What is the significance of a simple line integral in complex analysis?

In complex analysis, simple line integrals are used to calculate the values of complex functions along a given curve. They are also used to prove important theorems, such as the Cauchy integral theorem and Cauchy's integral formula.

4. What are some real-world applications of simple line integrals in complex numbers?

Simple line integrals in complex numbers have applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They are used to calculate the work done by a complex force, the electric field along a path, and the economic value of a complex investment, among others.

5. Are there any limitations to using simple line integrals in complex numbers?

One limitation of using simple line integrals in complex numbers is that they can only be used to integrate analytic functions, which are functions that can be represented by a convergent power series. Additionally, the curve being integrated along must be smooth and simple, without any self-intersections or sharp corners.