Defining Simplicity in Magmas

• Thread starter Stephen Tashi
  • Start date
In summary, there is a standard definition of a simple object in a finitely complete category with an initial object 0. This definition agrees with the general notion of a simple object in an abelian category or a simple group. However, in the context of magmas, this definition may not capture the idea of simplicity that some may have in mind, as exemplified by the example of the cyclic group C4. The concept of "non-simplicity" in magmas may involve the ability to visualize a simpler pattern within the operation table, but this does not guarantee that the table can be constructed from simpler pieces.
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
"simple" magmas?

I gather the modern term for a set with a closed binary operation is "magma" and that the old term "groupoid" now applies to something in category theory.

Is there a standard definition for a "simple" magma? For example, I think its straighforward to define the direct product of two finite magmas. So one thought is that a finite magma could be called "simple" if it is not isomorphic to the direct product of two smaller magmas.

(An amusing obstacle to looking up facts about magmas on the web is that the computer algebra software called Magma is the subject of so many links.)

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a standard definition of a simple object in a finitely complete category with an initial object 0. See:
http://ncatlab.org/nlab/show/simple+object
for the general definition.

A congruence on a magma M is an equivalence relation ~ on M such that a ~ b and c ~ d implies ac ~ bd. For any such congruence we get a quotient magma M/~ in the usual manner by identifying x,y in M if x ~ y.

We say that M is simple if M has precisely 2 quotient magmas: 0 and M.

I don't know of any applications of this, or whether there is any use for this notion. However this notion agrees with the general notion of a simple object which generalize the notion of a simple object in an abelian category or a simple group.

EDIT:
To see why your proposed definition is no good we can take an example from group theory where a similar issue arises. Let C4 be the cyclic group {0,1,2,3} and let C2 be the cyclic group {0,1}. We then have a short exact sequence
[tex]0 \to C_2 \xrightarrow{\times 2} C_4 \xrightarrow{\times 2} C_2 \to 0[/tex]
[itex]C_4[/itex] is not a simple magma (or group) because it has a quotient object [itex]C_2[/itex]. However it can't be written as the product of two non-trivial magmas (or groups). One may interpret the existence of these non-simple magmas (or groups) that are not products as a result of the fact that there exists non-split exact sequences in the category of magmas (or groups).

Actually now that I think a bit about it the explanation may be a bit more complicated for magmas than for groups. In group theory there is a 1-1 correspondence between normal subgroups and congruences, but I am not sure if we can define something similar for magmas. Perhaps if we restricted to magmas with a cancellation law (ab=ac implies b=c). I'm not really sure and in any case know next to nothing of magmas so don't take anything I say on faith.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
My desire for "simplicity" must at odds with the idea of simplicity for groups. To use the example of [itex] C_4 [/itex]. Let's write the group operation table in the unusual order of:[tex]
\begin{array}{c|cccc}
* & 0 & 2 & 1 & 3\\ \hline
0 & 0 & 2 & 1 & 3 \\
2 & 2 & 0 & 3 & 1 \\
1 & 1 & 3 & 2 & 0 \\
3 & 3 & 1 & 0 & 2
\end{array}
[/tex]

Define the sets [itex] A = \{0,2\}, B = \{1,3\} [/itex] and define the product [itex] (X)(Y) [/itex] of two sets as the set of those results formed by a product of an element from [itex]X [/itex] times an element of [itex]Y [/itex].

Then one can see "within" the table for [itex] C_4 [/itex] the pattern:

[tex]
\begin{array}{c|cc}
* & A & B \\ \hline
A & A & B \\
B & B & A \\
\end{array}
[/tex]To me, the natural extension of that idea to a magma can be illustrated by a magma with the table

[tex]
\begin{array}{c|cccc}
* & p & q & r & s\\ \hline
p & p & p & s & r \\
q & q & q & s & s \\
r & r & r & p & q \\
s & r & s & q & p
\end{array}
[/tex]

where we can define the sets [itex] A = \{p,q\}, B= \{r,s\} [/itex] and see the same pattern within the table.

On the one hand this idea of "non-simplicity" conveys the thought that there is a simpler pattern inside an operation table. However, it doesn't (to me) convey a notion that something is "not simple" if it can be systematically constructed from less complicated pieces. The ability to visualize a pattern within a table doesn't guarantee that you can take that pattern and combine it with some other component to construct the table from simple pieces. (That's just a commentary on the type of "simplicity" I want to know about - not a proof that the conventional definition of simplicity should be changed!)

Last edited:

What is meant by "defining simplicity in magmas"?

"Defining simplicity in magmas" refers to the process of characterizing and understanding the chemical and physical properties of molten rock, or magma, in order to better understand geological processes.

Why is it important to define simplicity in magmas?

Defining simplicity in magmas is important because it helps us understand the behavior of volcanic eruptions, the formation of igneous rocks, and the composition and evolution of the Earth's crust.

What factors contribute to the complexity of magmas?

The chemical composition, temperature, pressure, and rate of cooling of magmas can all contribute to their complexity. Other factors such as the presence of gases and the interactions with surrounding rocks can also play a role.

How can we determine the simplicity of a magma?

Scientists use various methods, such as geochemical analysis and laboratory experiments, to determine the chemical composition and physical properties of magmas. This information can then be used to classify the magma as simple or complex.

What are the implications of a simple or complex magma?

A simple magma is typically more fluid and can erupt more easily, while a complex magma is more viscous and can lead to explosive eruptions. Understanding the simplicity of magmas can help predict the type and intensity of volcanic activity and aid in hazard assessment and mitigation.