Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Magnifier & Telescope

1. Mar 15, 2015 #1
    So basically, in the text below, they say that maximum angular magnification is achieved when the object is placed 25 cm from the eye, i.e. at the near point. The minimum angular magnification is achieved when the object is placed at the focal length.

However, for the chapter on the telescope, they explain that to achieve maximum angular magnification, you need the image at infinity, therefore the object must be at the focal length!

Is this not contradictory?
    upload_2015-3-15_13-24-33.png

Attached Files:

• tele.png
      tele.png
      File size:
      125.7 KB
      Views:
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2015 #2

RaulTheUCSCSlug

Gold Member

I think you may be confused on the difference between the telescope and the magnifier. The highest angular magnification still occurs at the eye's focal point, which would be at the focal point of the eye piece of the telescope, the object lens on the telescope is what needs to see the image at infinity. Please note that these are also "Mickey Mouse" equations that only deal with special scenarios and thin lens, because a real lens will have some type of aberration, and the better telescopes will use a parabolic-reflector which offers no aberration (a simple derivation of this would be a good exercise as I did it yesterday and was quite fun!)

4. Mar 16, 2015 #3

RaulTheUCSCSlug

Gold Member

Also think about what happens when an image is infinitely far away, using Pythagoras theorem we see that the object is very very tall, but judging it from very far we can also use a small angle approximation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook