Solving x+x^1/2 = 6 - Can You Help?

• Thread starter EngTechno
  • Start date
In summary, the given equation x+x^1/2 = 6 represents a mathematical expression where the sum of a number and its square root is equal to 6. The goal of solving this equation is to find the value of x that satisfies the equation. This can be done by isolating the variable x on one side of the equation and using the quadratic formula or factoring to solve for x. There are restrictions on the values of x in this equation, as x must be greater than or equal to 0 and less than or equal to 6.
EngTechno
I have got stuck with this simple problem,

x +x^1/2=6 ( x plus square root of x is equal to 6 )

Although I know the answer is 4, I don't know how to systmatically calculate this problem. Do you know? And how?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Let u = [itex]\sqrt{x}[/itex], and then you have a quadratic in u.

--J

Sure, I'd be happy to help you solve this problem! First, let's rewrite the equation as x +√x = 6 to make it a little easier to work with. Then, we can isolate the square root term by subtracting x from both sides:

√x = 6 - x

Next, we can square both sides to eliminate the square root:

(√x)^2 = (6 - x)^2

Simplifying, we get:

x = 36 - 12x + x^2

Now, we can rearrange the terms to get a quadratic equation in standard form:

x^2 - 13x + 36 = 0

This can be factored as (x - 9)(x - 4) = 0, which means that x can equal either 9 or 4. However, we need to check our solutions to make sure they work in the original equation. Plugging in x = 9 gives us 9 + √9 = 6, which is not true. But when we plug in x = 4, we get 4 + √4 = 6, which is true. Therefore, our solution is x = 4.

I hope this helps you understand the systematic approach to solving this problem. Keep practicing and you'll become more comfortable with solving equations like this!

1. What is the given equation and what does it represent?

The given equation is x+x^1/2 = 6. This equation represents a mathematical expression where the sum of a number and its square root is equal to 6.

2. What is the goal of solving this equation?

The goal of solving this equation is to find the value of x that satisfies the equation. In other words, we are looking for the value of x that makes the left side of the equation equal to the right side.

3. How do you solve this equation?

To solve this equation, we need to isolate the variable x on one side of the equation. We can do this by subtracting x from both sides, then squaring both sides to eliminate the square root. This will give us a quadratic equation that can be solved using the quadratic formula or by factoring.

4. Can you provide an example of how to solve this equation?

Sure, let's say we have the equation x+x^1/2 = 6. We can start by subtracting x from both sides, giving us x^1/2 = 6 - x. Then, we square both sides to eliminate the square root, which gives us x = 36 - 12x + x^2. This can be simplified to x^2 - 13x + 36 = 0. Using the quadratic formula, we can find the solutions to this equation, which are x = 4 or x = 9.

5. Are there any restrictions on the values of x in this equation?

Yes, there are restrictions on the values of x in this equation. Since we cannot take the square root of a negative number, the values of x must be greater than or equal to 0. Additionally, the values of x cannot be greater than 6, as this would result in a negative number when subtracting x from 6. Therefore, the valid solutions for x are 0 ≤ x ≤ 6.