Simple proof that if x^2 = y^2 then x=-y or x=y

• Thread starter Jose Bouza
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, this conversation is about proving that if x^2 = y^2, then x=y or x=-y by using basic algebraic properties. The conversation also touches on the concept of factoring, which can be used to prove this statement. However, there is some confusion about whether or not factoring can be used at this point in the problem set, as it is used to prove a later problem. Overall, the goal is to prove this statement using the most fundamental algebraic properties.
Jose Bouza

Homework Statement

Hi, I'm a high school student currently working through Spivak for the first time and this is my first proof based introduction to mathematics so I just wanted to make sure that I was doing the following correctly:

Prove that if [itex] x^2 = y^2[/itex] then [itex]x=y[/itex] or [itex]x=-y[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex] (-y)^2 = (-y)*(-y) = (-1*y)*(-1*y) = (-1)*(-1)*y*y = 1*y*y = y*y = y^2 [/itex]
so...
[itex] (-y)^2 = y^2 [/itex]
or...
[itex] x^2 = y^2 [/itex] when [itex] x= -y [/itex]

Is this proof logical assuming the 12 basic properties of multiplication and addition that spivak lists in chapter 1?

For the fist case ([itex] x= y [/itex]) I'm kind of confused. I could do this:

if [itex] y*y = y^2 [/itex]
then [itex] y^2 = y^2 [/itex] and [itex]x^2 = y^2[/itex] if [itex] x=y[/itex]

but that seems far too easy, am I missing something or is that part just that simple?

Thanks for any help :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Jose Bouza said:

Homework Statement

Hi, I'm a high school student currently working through Spivak for the first time and this is my first proof based introduction to mathematics so I just wanted to make sure that I was doing the following correctly:

Prove that if [itex] x^2 = y^2[/itex] then [itex]x=y[/itex] or [itex]x=-y[/itex]

[itex] (-y)^2 = (-y)*(-y) = (-1*y)*(-1*y) = (-1)*(-1)*y*y = 1*y*y = y*y = y^2 [/itex]
so...
or...

Is this proof logical assuming the 12 basic properties of multiplication and addition that spivak lists in chapter 1?

but that seems far too easy, am I missing something or is that part just that simple?

I don't have Spivak, so I don't know the 12 properties he lists.

Starting with x2 = y2, you can write an equivalent equation, x2 - y2 = 0. The left side can be factored...

Likes Jose Bouza
Mark44 said:
I don't have Spivak, so I don't know the 12 properties he lists.

Starting with x2 = y2, you can write an equivalent equation, x2 - y2 = 0. The left side can be factored...

Basically just the associative, commutative and distributive properties (as in ##a(x+y) = ax + ay##, not at the level of factoring of ##x^2-y^2##) . Factoring is a higher level algebraic property and must first be proved using those three if you wish to use it here as far as I know.
I know this property is super elementary but the basic idea of the problem set is to prove all the common algebraic properties using the most fundamental ones.

Jose Bouza said:

Homework Statement

so...
or...

The problem is that this is NOT what you want to prove!
You want to prove that if [itex]x^2= y^2[/itex] then x= y or x= -y, NOT that "if x= y then x^2= y^2.

Instead, I suggest that you go from [itex]x^2= y^2[/itex] to [itex]x^2- y^2= 0[/itex] and factor the left side.

Jose Bouza said:
Basically just the associative, commutative and distributive properties (as in ##a(x+y) = ax + ay##, not at the level of factoring of ##x^2-y^2##) . Factoring is a higher level algebraic property and must first be proved using those three if you wish to use it here as far as I know.
I know this property is super elementary but the basic idea of the problem set is to prove all the common algebraic properties using the most fundamental ones.

"Factoring" isn't a separate property. You should be able to show that ##(x+y)(x-y)=x^2-y^2## using Spivak's properties. So you can use that to prove what you want.

Likes Jose Bouza
Dick said:
"Factoring" isn't a separate property. You should be able to show that ##(x+y)(x-y)=x^2-y^2## using Spivak's properties. So you can use that to prove what you want.
Are you saying I can just assume that you can factor ##x^2 - y^2## to ## (x+y)(x-y)## using the property ##a(x+y) = ax + ay## or are you suggesting I prove it using the three given properties?
If its the latter I don't think that the case since we actually have to prove what ##x^2 - y^2## factors into in a later problem so I'm assuming the author didn't intend that property to be used yet (the general structure involves using proofs from previous problems to solve new ones). Thats why I'm asking if the "proof" I provided is correct.
But thanks for the help anyways!

Jose Bouza said:
Are you saying I can just assume that you can factor ##x^2 - y^2## to ## (x+y)(x-y)## using the property ##a(x+y) = ax + ay## or are you suggesting I prove it using the three given properties?
If its the latter I don't think that the case since we actually have to prove what ##x^2 - y^2## factors into in a later problem so I'm assuming the author didn't intend that property to be used yet (the general structure involves using proofs from previous problems to solve new ones). Thats why I'm asking if the "proof" I provided is correct.
But thanks for the help anyways!

Yes, your proof that if ##x=(-y)## then ##x^2=y^2## and that if ##x=y## then ##x^2=y^2## (and that is as obvious as you think - maybe even more so). What your approach is missing is showing that those are the ONLY two solutions. You can do that with the factorization. Multiply ##(x+y)(x-y)## out and show the result is ##x^2-y^2## using the Spivak properties. Then use the factorization to show that there are only two solutions.

Likes Jose Bouza
How about adding zero ( in the form of ##\ xy-xy\ ##) to ##\ x^2-y^2\ ## ?

Likes Jose Bouza
Dick said:
Yes, your proof that if ##x=(-y)## then ##x^2=y^2## and that if ##x=y## then ##x^2=y^2## (and that is as obvious as you think - maybe even more so). What your approach is missing is showing that those are the ONLY two solutions. You can do that with the factorization. Multiply ##(x+y)(x-y)## out and show the result is ##x^2-y^2## using the Spivak properties. Then use the factorization to show that there are only two solutions.
Ahh okay I see, thanks again.

To nitpick, notice that you need to assume commutativity when you show ## x^2-y^2= (x+y)(x-y) ##.

SammyS said:
How about adding zero ( in the form of ##\ xy-xy\ ##) to ##\ x^2-y^2\ ## ?
To then get to ##(x+y)(x-y)##? I think that going from ##x(x+y) - y(x+y)## to ##(x+y)(x-y)## must be proved to be correct in of itself no?

Jose Bouza said:
To then get to ##(x+y)(x-y)##? I think that going from ##x(x+y) - y(x+y)## to ##(x+y)(x-y)## must be proved to be correct in of itself no?

Of course, but isn't that easy??

Likes Jose Bouza
Jose Bouza said:
What? No distributive law?

Likes Jose Bouza
Dick said:
Of course, but isn't that easy??
Oh okay I see. At this point the inverse of the distributive property can be used since ##x+y## is equal to the ##a## in ##a(x-y) = ax - ay## right?

Jose Bouza said:
Oh okay I see. At this point the inverse of the distributive property can be used since ##x+y## is equal to the ##a## in ##a(x-y) = ax - ay## right?

Yes!

Likes Jose Bouza
SammyS said:
What? No distributive law?
Yeah I didn't see how to directly apply the distributive property at first but I got it now, thank you both!

1. What is the concept behind this proof?

The concept behind this proof is based on the properties of the square root function and the fact that any number squared will always result in a non-negative value.

2. Can you provide an example to illustrate this proof?

Yes, for example, if we have x = 3 and y = -3, then x^2 = 9 and y^2 = 9. This satisfies the condition that x^2 = y^2, and also shows that x = -y or x = y.

3. Is this proof applicable to both positive and negative numbers?

Yes, this proof is applicable to both positive and negative numbers because the square root function returns the positive value of a number regardless of its sign.

4. Can this proof be used to prove other mathematical statements?

Yes, this proof can be used to prove other mathematical statements that involve the properties of the square root function or the concept of equality.

5. How is this proof useful in science and other fields?

This proof is useful in many fields, especially in science, as it provides a simple and concrete way to show the relationship between two variables and their corresponding values. It can also be used in various mathematical calculations and equations.