Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple quesion about metric on extended real line

1. Apr 13, 2012 #1
    I was told the extended real [itex]\hat{R}=R\cup\{-\infty,\infty\}[/itex] is homeomorphic to [0,1], I was wondering if the mapping
    [tex]
    h: [0,1]\rightarrow\hat{R}, h(x)=\cot^{-1}(\pi x), 0<x<1, h(0)=\infty, h(1)=-\infty
    [/tex]
    is a valid homeomorphism, so that a metric may be defined by the metric on [0,1]? Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2012 #2

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, of course!

The topology on the extended real line is the topology generated by the usual open sets of R plus the "neigborhoods of infinity"; i.e. the sets of the form [itex](a,+\infty][/itex] and [itex][-\infty,b)[/itex].

Similarly, the topology on [0,1] is generated by the usual open sets of (0,1) plus the sets of the form [itex](a,1][/itex] and [itex][0,b)[/itex]

It suffices to observe that your h sends a generator of the topology of [0,1] to a generator of the topology of the extended real line, and similarly for h-1.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
  4. Apr 16, 2012 #3
    Thank you! When you say generator of the topology, is it referring to a base of the topology? So if I had a bijective (no need to be continuous, which need not be defined) mapping h from one base (collections of open sets) to another, then h would also be a homeomorphism between the two spaces generated by the two bases?

5. Apr 16, 2012 #4

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes and yes.

More generally, to check continuity of a map f:X-->Y, it is not necessary to check that f-1(U) is open in X for all open sets in Y. It is sufficient to check it for the elements U of a basis of the topology on Y. (Easy exercice in "set theory")

6. Apr 17, 2012 #5
    That makes a lot of sense. Thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook