Is sqrt(4) Equal to +2 or -2?

• Thread starter luxiaolei
  • Start date
In summary, the equations presented do not prove that 2 = -2, but rather highlight the non-uniqueness of the solution to √4. The mistake lies in assuming that √4 only has one solution, when in fact it has two: 2 and -2.
luxiaolei
2 = sqrt(4) = sqrt(-1*-1*4) = sqrt(-1)*sqrt(-1)*sqrt(4) = -1*sqrt(4) = -2 ?

Where am I wrong? sqrt(4) = +2 or -2 in the last step? but see sqrt(4)=-1*sqrt(4), still wrong..

Thanks in advance

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Feldoh said:
2 = |sqrt(4)|

Thanks!,how silly am I...gosh...

luxiaolei said:
2 = sqrt(4) = sqrt(-1*-1*4) = sqrt(-1)*sqrt(-1)*sqrt(4) = -1*sqrt(4) = -2 ?

Where am I wrong? sqrt(4) = +2 or -2 in the last step? but see sqrt(4)=-1*sqrt(4), still wrong..

Thanks in advance

The real problem here lies in the first step, not the last. 2 is a solution to √4, but is not the solution. Your conundrum has simply re-stated that -2 is also a solution to √4. This string of equations does not prove that 2 = -2 (obviously), only that the solution to √4 is non-unique. Good luck!

Thanks Unit91Actual!

Unit91Actual said:
The real problem here lies in the first step, not the last. 2 is a solution to √4, but is not the solution. Your conundrum has simply re-stated that -2 is also a solution to √4. This string of equations does not prove that 2 = -2 (obviously), only that the solution to √4 is non-unique. Good luck!

[itex] x^2 = 4 [/itex] has two solutions, but sqrt(4) means the positive solution of this equations.
The other one is -sqrt(4).
2 = sqrt(-1 * -1 * 4) is OK, but the next step is not since sqrt(A*B) = sqrt(A) * sqrt(B) is only valid if A and B are >= 0

willem2 said:
[itex] x^2 = 4 [/itex] has two solutions, but sqrt(4) means the positive solution of this equations.
The other one is -sqrt(4).
2 = sqrt(-1 * -1 * 4) is OK, but the next step is not since sqrt(A*B) = sqrt(A) * sqrt(B) is only valid if A and B are >= 0

Good point.

1. What does "sqrt" mean?

"sqrt" is an abbreviation for "square root". It is a mathematical operation that finds the number which, when multiplied by itself, gives the given number. For example, the square root of 4 is 2 because 2 x 2 = 4.

2. Why does "sqrt(4) = +2 or -2" have two solutions?

This is because the square root function can have both positive and negative solutions. For any positive number, there are two numbers that can be multiplied by itself to get that number - one positive and one negative. In this case, both 2 and -2 can be squared to give 4.

3. How do you solve "sqrt(4) = +2 or -2"?

To solve this equation, simply take the square root of both sides. This will give you the two solutions: +2 and -2. So, the equation can be rewritten as "sqrt(4) = 2 or -2".

4. Is there a specific order to solve equations like "sqrt(4) = +2 or -2"?

No, there is no specific order to solve equations like this. However, it is important to understand the properties of square roots and follow the correct mathematical steps to get the correct solutions.

5. How can I check if my solutions for "sqrt(4) = +2 or -2" are correct?

You can check your solutions by substituting them back into the original equation. For example, if you plug in +2 for "sqrt(4)" in the original equation, you should get 2 = 2 which is a true statement. Similarly, if you plug in -2, you should get -2 = -2. This confirms that both solutions are correct.