Understanding Power Dissipation in Parallel Resistors

• Thread starter IDGAF
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resistor
In summary, when resistors are connected in parallel, the total resistance is reduced and each resistor shares in the power dissipation duties. In this scenario, a total of 10 100ohm/5w resistors in parallel would result in a 10ohm load with 50w of power dissipation. Each resistor would contribute to the total wattage.
IDGAF
Ok, I'm not an EE student, nor do I really understand all of the P=IE^2 stuff concerning power and resistance, etc.

My question is regarding the power dissipation abilities of resistors in paralell. Let's say I have (10) 100ohm/5w resistors in paralell. Would this effectively be a 10ohm load with 50w of power dissipation? Do the collective resistors share the power handling duties? Or am I way off?

Any insight (in layman's terms) would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes.

When in parallel each resistor handles a part of the current. 1/Rtotal = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + ...

So for 10 100R resistors you get a net resistance of 10R. Each resistor contributes to the total wattage. If each resistor is 5W then you have a total of 50W.

1. What is a resistor?

A resistor is an electronic component that is used to limit the flow of electric current in a circuit. It is typically made of a material that has high resistance, such as carbon or metal, and is used to control the amount of voltage and current in a circuit.

2. How does a resistor work?

A resistor works by converting electrical energy into heat. When electric current flows through a resistor, it encounters resistance, which causes the voltage to drop. This reduces the amount of current that can flow through the circuit.

3. What is the unit of measurement for resistance?

The unit of measurement for resistance is ohms (Ω). This unit is named after the German physicist Georg Ohm, who discovered the relationship between voltage, current, and resistance.

4. What is the difference between a fixed resistor and a variable resistor?

A fixed resistor has a predetermined resistance value that cannot be changed, while a variable resistor, also known as a potentiometer, allows the resistance to be adjusted by turning a knob or sliding a lever. Variable resistors are commonly used in electronic circuits to control the amount of current or voltage.

5. How do I calculate the resistance of a resistor?

The resistance of a resistor can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that resistance (R) is equal to voltage (V) divided by current (I). In other words, R = V/I. The resistance can also be determined by reading the color-coded bands on the resistor, which indicate the resistance value.