Can I Simplify This Algebraic Expression by Canceling Out the h?

• Thread starter vt33
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Simplify
In summary, the given expression cannot be simplified by cancelling out the h and cannot be factored due to it being missing from one of the terms. However, it can be split into two fractions and simplified. Additionally, if this is a difference quotient and the limit as h approaches 0 is needed, the numerator must also be 0 when h=0 for the limit to exist.
vt33
I'm trying to simplify -2rh-h^2+2r/h

can I simplify this anymore by canceling out the h, or is that not correct. Also, I don't believe I can factor out the h in the numerator because it's not in all 3 on top, is that correct?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
vt33 said:
I'm trying to simplify -2rh-h^2+2r/h

can I simplify this anymore by canceling out the h, or is that not correct. Also, I don't believe I can factor out the h in the numerator because it's not in all 3 on top, is that correct?

Yes,it cannot be factored,since it's missing from one of the terms of the sum.
However,it can be split into 2 fractions and "symplified"...

Daniel.

Assuming you mean [itex]\frac{-2rh- h^2+ 2r}{h}[/itex], then, yes, you cannot simplify by cancelling. If this is a difference quotient and you want to take a limit as h goes to 0 then you have a problem! That limit will only exist if the numerator is also 0 when h= 0.

Related to Can I Simplify This Algebraic Expression by Canceling Out the h?

What is the given expression?

The given expression is -2rh-h^2+2r/h.

How can this expression be simplified?

This expression can be simplified by factoring out the common factor of h, which results in h(-2r-h+2)/h. The h's cancel out, leaving us with the simplified expression of -2r-h+2.

Can this expression be simplified further?

No, the expression -2r-h+2 is already in its simplest form and cannot be simplified any further.

What is the degree of this expression?

The degree of this expression is 2, as h^2 is the highest degree term.

Can this expression be written in a different form?

Yes, the expression can be written as h(2-r)-h^2, which is also considered to be in its simplest form.