Simplify & eliminate negative exponents

In summary, the conversation was about simplifying an expression with negative exponents and finding the correct answer from a list of options. The speaker had trouble with the concept but was determined to improve. In the second part of the conversation, the speaker asked for help with solving an equation with a square root sign. The expert suggested turning the negative exponents into their fractional form and gave a hint for solving the second problem. The expert also asked the speaker to think about the meaning of negative exponents.
Janinever
Hi there,

Please help :) out of school for years started studying again and finding it so hard to pick up the basics again! But am trying very hard!

Homework Statement

Simplify the expression and eliminate any negative exponents

Homework Equations

(2x^3)^-2 (3x^4)^2
----------------------
(3x)^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm given a list of options to choose from as an answer which is :
(a) 1/4x^5
(b) 2x^6
(c) 4x^12
(d) None of the above

I'm chosen none of the above because from a very crooked attempt at getting to an answer I got 4x as being the answer.

Please help :) No clue if I'm right or wrong.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, None of the above is right, but 4x isn't.

Show some more work. In particular, why do you think the answer is 4x?

Hi there! Thanks for replying! I have one more problem - the rest I did without trouble but first I'll show you what I did (this coming week I'll have time off to properly cover the basics because it sucks wanting to do this but not being able to!).

(2x^3)^-2 (3x^4)^2
----------------------
(3x)^2

= (4x^-6)(9x^8) 36x^2
---------------- = ------------ = 4x (I attempted to get to some sort of answer...)the last problem I honestly have no clue I've tried numerous things substituting the values into the equation but not sure what I'm suppose to be getting.
I'm doing a distance learning course and the textbook just doesn't have enough info, really pathetic.

--The real solution(s) of the equation 2x - (sqrt 11x+23) +5 = 0

Options are:
(a) x=7, x=-2
(b) x=-2
(c) x=-1/4 , x=-2
(d) No real solution

I know I sound like such an idiot :) But this is a difficult task for me being out of school for 10 years almost - but will be doing everything in my power to succeed & appreciate any and all help very, very much!

Thanks again!

Last edited:
Is your ---------- meant to be a division sign?

yes :)

Well, I think that to go from the original problem to [itex](4x^{-6})(9x^8)[/itex] you are probably making some arithmetic errors when adding exponents and such. The [itex]9x^8[/itex] is right. Now, thing about the [itex]\frac{(2x^3)^{-2}}{(3x)^2}[/itex]. What, exactly, do negative exponents mean? (And, on a side note, let's try think about WHY they might mean that.)

For the second one, first, try to do something about the square root sign.

When you get negative indices like this:

(2x^3)^-2

Consider turning it into its fractional form so in reality, the equation turns into:

[itex]\frac{(3*x^4)^2}{((2*x^3)^2*(3*x)^2)}[/itex]

Can you do it now?

1. What does it mean to "simplify" an expression with negative exponents?

Simplifying an expression with negative exponents means to rewrite the expression in a way that does not have any negative exponents. In other words, all negative exponents should be eliminated or changed to positive exponents.

2. How do you eliminate negative exponents?

To eliminate negative exponents, you can use the rule that states: a-n = 1/an. This means that you can move a term with a negative exponent to the denominator and change the exponent to a positive value. You can also use the rule that states: am x an = am+n. This means that when multiplying terms with the same base but different exponents, you can add the exponents together and keep the base the same.

3. Can you provide an example of simplifying an expression with negative exponents?

Consider the expression 2x-3 / y-2. To simplify this expression, we can use the rule mentioned above and rewrite it as (2/y2) x (y2/x3). This results in 2y2/x3, which is the simplified form of the original expression.

4. Why is it important to simplify expressions with negative exponents?

Simplifying expressions with negative exponents can make them easier to work with and understand. It also allows us to write the expressions in a standard form and compare them to other expressions. Furthermore, simplifying can help us avoid errors when performing calculations involving exponents.

5. Are there any other rules or strategies for simplifying expressions with negative exponents?

Yes, there are other rules and strategies for simplifying expressions with negative exponents. Some examples include: using the power rule which states (am)n = am x n, using the quotient rule which states am / an = am-n, and using the negative exponent rule which states a-n = 1/an. Additionally, you can convert negative exponents to positive exponents by taking the reciprocal of the term with the negative exponent and changing the exponent to a positive value.