Finding f'(x) for Logarithm Derivatives Homework with Product and Quotient Rules

In summary, the student attempted to solve a problem in a way that was not supported by the given equation. The equation states that d/dx[x] = x/|x|, which is not true in this case.
Justabeginner

Homework Statement

Find f'(x): [itex] (abs(((x^2)*((3x+2) ^(1/3)))/((2x-3)^3)) [/itex] <- Not sure why it''s not showing up but the 1/3 is an exponent to just the (3x+2).

Homework Equations

Product Rule and Quotient Rule for Differentiating

The Attempt at a Solution

So I thought I should split it into two parts: A and B.

A) [itex] (x^2)/((2x-3)^2) [/itex]
B) [itex] ((3x+2)^1/3)/(2x-3) [/itex]

My plan was to differentiate each part and then multiply them together, since multiplying their denominators together gives me the original denominator power (4).

I end up getting for A) (-12x^2 + 18x)/((2x-3)^4)

For B, I have something which seems much more complex, because of the negative fractional exponents, and this is where I'm stuck. I want to simplify, but I'm not sure how to without screwing everything up. This is my last step for B:

[itex] ((3x+2)^(-2/3)*(2x-3) - 4(x-3)*((3x+2)^(1/3)))/((2x-3)^2) [/itex] <- The -2/3 is the exponent

I really appreciate the help. And also, as for the absolute value part of the question, well I haven't even thought about that- I'm stuck on the easy part itself. -_-

Thank you!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Justabeginner said:

Homework Statement

Find f'(x): [itex] (abs(((x^2)*((3x+2) ^(1/3)))/((2x-3)^3)) [/itex] <- Not sure why it''s not showing up but the 1/3 is an exponent to just the (3x+2).
In LaTeX, if an exponent is more than one character, you have to put braces around the entire expression of the exponent. If your exponent expression includes parentheses, they need to go inside the braces as well.

So (3x + 2)1/3 would be written as (3x + 2)^{1/3}.
Justabeginner said:

Homework Equations

Product Rule and Quotient Rule for Differentiating

The Attempt at a Solution

So I thought I should split it into two parts: A and B.
No, you can't do this. It's not true that d/dx( f(x) * g(x)) = f'(x) * g'(x). That seems to be what you're trying to do, from what you're saying below.
Justabeginner said:
A) [itex] (x^2)/((2x-3)^2) [/itex]
B) [itex] ((3x+2)^1/3)/(2x-3) [/itex]

My plan was to differentiate each part and then multiply them together, since multiplying their denominators together gives me the original denominator power (4).

I end up getting for A) (-12x^2 + 18x)/((2x-3)^4)

For B, I have something which seems much more complex, because of the negative fractional exponents, and this is where I'm stuck. I want to simplify, but I'm not sure how to without screwing everything up. This is my last step for B:

[itex] ((3x+2)^(-2/3)*(2x-3) - 4(x-3)*((3x+2)^(1/3)))/((2x-3)^2) [/itex] <- The -2/3 is the exponent

I really appreciate the help. And also, as for the absolute value part of the question, well I haven't even thought about that- I'm stuck on the easy part itself. -_-
d/dx |x| = x/|x|, and
d/dx |u| = u/|u| * du/dx
Justabeginner said:
Thank you!

Oh wow, that was the rule that we learned in school- I should have known I'm not supposed to do that! I'll redo the problem, and see what I get. Thanks!

If [itex] d/dx [x] = x/|x| [/itex] ,

then would the correct expression be [itex] d/dx |x| = (f(x))/|((x^2)((3x+2)^{1/3}))/((2x-3)^3)| [/itex] ?

meaning, in simplified form would it be: [itex] ((f(x)) * ((2x-3)^3)/((x^2)(3x+2)^{1/3}) [/itex]

Thank you.

Related to Finding f'(x) for Logarithm Derivatives Homework with Product and Quotient Rules

1. What is a logarithm derivative?

A logarithm derivative is the derivative of a logarithm function. It is a mathematical tool used to find the rate of change of a logarithmic function at a specific point.

2. How do you find the derivative of a logarithm function?

To find the derivative of a logarithm function, you can use the logarithmic derivative formula: d/dx(loga(x)) = 1/(xln(a)), where a is the base of the logarithm and x is the variable.

3. What is the purpose of using logarithm derivatives?

Logarithm derivatives are useful in many applications, such as in economics, physics, and engineering. They can help us model and understand exponential growth and decay, and they are also useful in solving differential equations.

4. Can logarithm derivatives be negative?

Yes, logarithm derivatives can be negative. This happens when the base of the logarithm is greater than 1 and the input value is between 0 and 1. In this case, the derivative will be negative, indicating a decreasing rate of change.

5. How can logarithm derivatives be used in real life?

Logarithm derivatives have many real-life applications, such as in population growth models, chemical reactions, and financial investments. They can help us understand and predict the behavior of these systems over time.