1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simplifying and then expressing complex numbers in cartesian form

1. Mar 11, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    (2 CIS (pi/6))*(3 CIS (pi/12))

2. Relevant equations

Also what is CIS? I believe it's Cos+i*sin but how do you use it?

3. The attempt at a solution
    i simplified it to

6 CIS (pi/12)

How do i turn it into cartesian?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2010 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Stripe! :smile:

(have a pi: π :wink:)

I've never seen "CIS" before, but I'll guess you're right, and that it's cos + i*sin.

Now use De Moivre's theorem … cosθ + isinθ = e :wink:

And Cartesian form simply means in the form x + iy (as opposed to polar form, which is in the form re )

(and no, it's not 6 CIS (π/12))

Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
  4. Mar 11, 2010 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

"[itex]Cis(\theta)[/itex]" is engineering notation for "[itex]cos(\theta)+ i sin(\theta)[/itex]" which mathematicians tend to write as [itex]e^{i\theta}[/itex].

The important thing about that notation is that [itex](Cis(\theta)*Cis(\phi)= Cis(\theta+ \phi)[/itex].

So you have correctly deduced that [itex](2Cis(\pi/6))(3Cis(\pi/12)= 6 Cis(3\pi/12)= 6 Cis(\pi/4)[/itex]

Now, just use the definition: [itex]6 Cis(\pi/4)= 6 cos(\pi/4)+ 6i sin(\pi/4)[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook