Simplifying Complex Circuit Diagrams

In summary, the problem is that you need to simplify the diagram so that Kirschoff's Law is accounted for.
F|234K
i want to transform the black diagram into a series and parellel circuit (as u a see that the black diagram isn't exactly series or parellel). i made the two top left resistors into one (blue circle), and i want to do the same thing for the other two in green circle. however, if i make the top right resistors into one just like the top left ones, i won't get the right answer need for the problem. therefor, can someone please show me to right way to simplify this diagram?

Attachments

• q1.JPG
    q1.JPG
    5.7 KB · Views: 622
Physics news on Phys.org
I can't see the diagram but

For series: [tex] R_{eq} = R_1 + R_2 + ... + R_n [/tex]

For parallel: [tex] \frac{1}{R_{eq}} = \frac{1}{R_1} + \frac{1}{R_2} + \frac{1}{R_3} + ... + \frac{1}{R_n} [/tex]

Last edited:
why can't you see it? i can see it no problem...hmmm...

i know those equations...anways..you' ll have to see my diagram to see what i am asking.

It says its pending approval.

oh...(it's my first time posting pics)

Why don't you go ahead and post the problem.

What are the resistances of each one?
What are you trying to find?

well, that isn't really my problem, but if you want to know, R=2.2 (for every one).
i am trying to find the net resistance.

Equivalent resistance in the blue circle is 4.4ohms. You can't reduce the two in the green circle alone because they are in parallel with the one just above the green circle. Ithink the equivalent resistance would be 0.733ohms for all 3.

edit: If you do the blue resistor with the one between the two, you should be able to simplify that section. The resistance would be 1/(1/4.4+1/2.2) = 1.466ohms.

Your circuit is now a 1.466 ohm resistor in parallel with (two 2.2 resistors in series), in series with a 2.2 ohm resistor.

Last edited:
if the answer is 1/.733...then it's right...

why you can't combine the ones in the green circle?

Because you have to keep in consideration Kirschoff's Law. The net current into a node is the net current out of a node. The net current coming out of the node on the bottom right of the green circle doesn't have all of the incoming current accounted for.

k, thanks a lot whozum.

No problem. I got a equivalent resistance for the whole circuit of 2.57ohms. What were you trying to find the resistance of initially?

actually, the answer is 3.6 ohms...

Now I am getting 3.52..

lol...the exact answer in the book is 3.575...

and i still can't get the answer...don't know what i am missing...

Im drawing it all out. Hold on.

Last edited:
http://www.public.asu.edu/~hyousif/circuitreduction.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
whew, holycow, THANKS A LOT MAN. i finally get it, turns out i am missing some thing i "think" i would of thought about...

again, thanks very much for your time and your elaborate drawings.

No problem. Once I got it wrong I wouldn't rest without figuring it out :D

What is a circuit diagram?

A circuit diagram is a visual representation of an electrical circuit. It uses symbols to show the components of the circuit and how they are connected.

Why is simplifying circuit diagrams important?

Simplifying circuit diagrams makes them easier to understand and follow, especially for those who are not familiar with electrical circuits. It also helps to identify and troubleshoot any potential issues in the circuit.

What are some common ways to simplify a circuit diagram?

Some common ways to simplify a circuit diagram include using standard symbols, eliminating unnecessary components, and using clear and concise labeling.

How can simplifying circuit diagrams affect the accuracy of the circuit?

Simplifying circuit diagrams should not affect the accuracy of the circuit if done correctly. It should only make the diagram easier to understand without changing the functionality of the circuit.

Are there any tools or software available to help simplify circuit diagrams?

Yes, there are various software programs and online tools available to help simplify circuit diagrams. These tools often have a library of standard symbols and allow for easy editing and organization of the diagram.