1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simplifying radicals(algebra II)

1. Feb 3, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

(cube root [tex]\sqrt[]{}x^4[/tex] * [tex]\sqrt[]{}x^5[/tex])^-2

Honestly, I tried and my answer didnt make any sense...The answer is supposed to be 1/(x^23/3)

How would I go about solving this? Any help would be appreciated :)

Also how would I solve the cube root of 7 * the cube root of 49?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2009 #2

Staff: Mentor

What you wrote is very difficult to decipher. How about rewriting it using exponents rather than radicals? The cube root of a is a^(1/3).

The cube root of 7 times the cube root of 49 is the cube root of 343, which can be simplified.
  4. Feb 3, 2009 #3
    Think about what you have: 2 cube roots. One is [tex]\sqrt[3]{7}[/tex] and the other is [tex]\sqrt[3]{7^2}[/tex]. What can you do with that?
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  5. Feb 3, 2009 #4
    ok I get that one! you would get cube root of 7^3...so you would get 7. thanks I get that one now!

and back to the first problem. in exponents I think it would be:

(X3/4 * X1/5)-2

So if anyone wants to help with this one...so far I still have the wrong answer, I have no idea what I'm doing wrong!
  6. Feb 3, 2009 #5

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Laws of Exponents are taught in Algebra 1 and Algebra 2.

That one did not type set correctly. I'm trying to state
    'a' to the negative m power equals the fraction one over a to the m power. a^(-m)=1/(a^m)

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  7. Feb 3, 2009 #6

Staff: Mentor

That doesn't look like what you started with, which I think should look more like this:
    (x4/3 * something)-2

The first factor inside the parentheses seems to be the cube root of x^4, which is x4/3. The other factor appears to be the square root of x^5. Can you tell us exactly what the problem is that you're working on?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?