Simplifying this trig solution

In summary, the given expression csc(x)sqrt(sec^2(x)-1) simplifies to sec(x) for 0 ≤ x < π/2, by using the Pythagorean identity and simplifying with trigonometric functions.
jhahler

Homework Statement

Simplify this expression: csc(x)sqrt(sec^2(x)-1) with 0 less than or equal x less than pi/2.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Not really sure what they want here, but would a good place to start be to square the entire expression to get rid of the square root or would that make things more complicated? and what is meant by x being between 0 and pi/2?

Physics news on Phys.org
jhahler said:

Homework Statement

Simplify this expression: csc(x)sqrt(sec^2(x)-1) with 0 less than or equal x less than pi/2.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Not really sure what they want here, but would a good place to start be to square the entire expression to get rid of the square root or would that make things more complicated? and what is meant by x being between 0 and pi/2?
Squaring the expression is not recommended.

Do you know a trig identity relating tan2(x) and sec2(x) ?

Use that.

gotcha, the Pythagorean identity 1+tan^2(x)=sec^2(x)

ok, I think I got this if anyone wants to confirm, still not sure about the x greater or equal to 0 and less than or equal to pi/2, but here goes. csc(x)sqrt(sec^2(x)-1) turns into csc(x)sqrt(tan^2(x)+1-1) after the Pythagorean identity, then simplifies to csc(x)tan(x) after you do the square root. csc(x)tan(x) is equal to 1/sin(x) * 1/cos(x), those multiply together to give 1/cos(x) and that equals sec(x), that sound right?

jhahler said:
ok, I think I got this if anyone wants to confirm, still not sure about the x greater or equal to 0 and less than or equal to pi/2, but here goes. csc(x)sqrt(sec^2(x)-1) turns into csc(x)sqrt(tan^2(x)+1-1) after the Pythagorean identity, then simplifies to csc(x)tan(x) after you do the square root. csc(x)tan(x) is equal to 1/sin(x) * 1/cos(x), those multiply together to give 1/cos(x) and that equals sec(x), that sound right?

I think you mean [itex]\frac{1}{sinx}\times\frac{sinx}{cosx}[/itex].

But yes, that looks right.

jhahler said:
The restriction: 0 ≤ x < π/2 means that all of the trig functions give a non-negative result and in particular, [itex]\sqrt{\tan^2(x)=\tan(x)}[/itex] without the ± sign.

yes, bread18, i did mean [tex]\frac{sinx}{\cos(x)}[/tex]

Thanks by the way!

1. What is the purpose of simplifying a trig solution?

Simplifying a trig solution allows for easier understanding and manipulation of the equation. It also helps to identify patterns and relationships between different trigonometric functions.

2. How do I know when a trig solution can be simplified?

A trig solution can be simplified when it contains trigonometric functions with the same argument, or when it can be rewritten in terms of a single trigonometric function.

3. What are the common trig identities used to simplify a trig solution?

The most commonly used trig identities for simplifying a trig solution are the Pythagorean identities, sum and difference identities, double angle identities, and half angle identities.

4. Can I simplify a trig solution in multiple ways?

Yes, there are often multiple ways to simplify a trig solution. It is important to choose the most efficient and clear method based on the specific problem at hand.

5. Is it necessary to simplify a trig solution?

No, it is not always necessary to simplify a trig solution. However, it can make the solution more concise and easier to work with in further calculations.