1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simplifying this trig solution

1. Jan 12, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Simplify this expression: csc(x)sqrt(sec^2(x)-1) with 0 less than or equal x less than pi/2.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Not really sure what they want here, but would a good place to start be to square the entire expression to get rid of the square root or would that make things more complicated? and what is meant by x being between 0 and pi/2?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2012 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Squaring the expression is not recommended.

Do you know a trig identity relating tan2(x) and sec2(x) ?

Use that.

4. Jan 12, 2012 #3
    gotcha, the Pythagorean identity 1+tan^2(x)=sec^2(x)

5. Jan 12, 2012 #4
    ok, I think I got this if anyone wants to confirm, still not sure about the x greater or equal to 0 and less than or equal to pi/2, but here goes. csc(x)sqrt(sec^2(x)-1) turns into csc(x)sqrt(tan^2(x)+1-1) after the Pythagorean identity, then simplifies to csc(x)tan(x) after you do the square root. csc(x)tan(x) is equal to 1/sin(x) * 1/cos(x), those multiply together to give 1/cos(x) and that equals sec(x), that sound right?

6. Jan 12, 2012 #5
    I think you mean [itex]\frac{1}{sinx}\times\frac{sinx}{cosx}[/itex].

But yes, that looks right.

7. Jan 12, 2012 #6

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The restriction: 0 ≤ x < π/2 means that all of the trig functions give a non-negative result and in particular, [itex]\sqrt{\tan^2(x)=\tan(x)}[/itex] without the ± sign.

8. Jan 12, 2012 #7
    yes, bread18, i did mean [tex]\frac{sinx}{\cos(x)}[/tex]

Thanks by the way!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook