Simplifying Trick for Homework Statement on Differential Equation

• Thread starter Kreizhn
  • Start date
In summary: P and its partial derivatives with respect to u. In summary, this simplifies the equation by allowing us to express \frac{\partial P}{\partial t} as a linear combination of P and its partial derivatives with respect to u, which may be useful in solving the problem.
Kreizhn

Homework Statement

I'm given a differential equation that evolves as
[tex] \frac{du}{dt} = F(u,t; y(t) ), \qquad u \in \mathbb R^n [/tex]
and told that a vector valued function P(u,t,y) satisfies
[tex] \frac{\partial P}{\partial t} = - \sum_{i=1}^N \frac{\partial}{\partial u_i} F_i(u,t,y) P [/tex]

If it turns out that
[tex] \frac{du_i}{dt} = \sum_{j=1}^N A_{ij}(y)u_j [/tex]
this is supposed to simplify [itex] \frac{\partial P}{\partial t} [/itex] greatly.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't see how this simplifies at all. One possibility is that the question is poorly written and the summation term should actually be

[tex] - \sum_{i=1}^N \left[\frac{\partial}{\partial u_i} F_i(u,t,y) \right] P [/tex]
In this case this is equivalent to the divergence of a linear vector field, and if we define A such that [itex] (A)_{ij} = A_{ij} [/itex] then indeed this does simplify to
[tex] \frac{\partial P}{\partial t} = - \text{Tr}[A] P [/tex]
However, I have reason to believe that the equation is not wrongly written, in which case substituting our value for F into the differential equation for P doesn't drammatically simply the problem as suggested.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for bringing up this question. Based on the given information, it is possible that there may be a typo in the summation term. However, let's assume that the equation is written correctly and explore the potential simplifications that could arise.

First, let's rewrite the given differential equation as:
\frac{du}{dt} = F(u,t,y(t); y(t))

We can see that the function F depends on the variables u, t, and y(t). Therefore, we can rewrite the summation term as:
- \sum_{i=1}^N \frac{\partial}{\partial u_i} F_i(u,t,y(t); y(t)) P

Now, let's substitute the given equation for du/dt into the above expression:
- \sum_{i=1}^N \frac{\partial}{\partial u_i} \left( \sum_{j=1}^N A_{ij}(y(t))u_j \right) P

Expanding the summation and using the product rule, we get:
- \sum_{i=1}^N \sum_{j=1}^N A_{ij}(y(t)) \frac{\partial}{\partial u_i} (u_j P)

Now, using the chain rule, we can rewrite the partial derivative as:
- \sum_{i=1}^N \sum_{j=1}^N A_{ij}(y(t)) \left( \frac{\partial u_j}{\partial u_i} P + u_j \frac{\partial P}{\partial u_i} \right)

Since u_j does not depend on u_i, the first term in the parentheses is equal to 1. Therefore, we can simplify further to:
- \sum_{i=1}^N \sum_{j=1}^N A_{ij}(y(t)) \left( P + u_j \frac{\partial P}{\partial u_i} \right)

Finally, we can rewrite the summation term as a matrix multiplication:
- \sum_{i=1}^N \left( A(y(t)) P + u \cdot \frac{\partial P}{\partial u_i} \right)

This simplification may not seem significant at first glance, but it allows us to express the partial derivative of P with respect to t as a linear combination of

What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes how a variable changes over time by relating its rate of change to its current value. It is commonly used in many scientific fields to model and predict the behavior of complex systems.

Why is it important to simplify a differential equation?

Simplifying a differential equation can make it easier to understand and solve. It can also help identify the key factors that affect the system being modeled, making it easier to interpret the results and make predictions.

What are some common techniques for simplifying a differential equation?

Some common techniques for simplifying a differential equation include using substitution, separating variables, and using integration. It may also be helpful to rearrange terms or use properties of mathematical operations to simplify the equation.

How can I check if my simplified differential equation is correct?

One method is to plug in values for the variables and see if the equation holds true. Another way is to compare your simplified equation to the original equation and make sure they are equivalent.

Are there any tricks or shortcuts for simplifying differential equations?

Yes, there are some common simplification tricks that can be used for certain types of differential equations. Some examples include using the chain rule or product rule, recognizing patterns in the equation, and using known solutions to simplify the equation.