Finding Error Bounds for Simpson's Method in Approximate Integration

In summary, the Simpson method is used to integrate cos(x^2) with an error less than 0.001. The fourth order derivative of this function is found and a bound for it is found. It is determined that zero is a maximum or minimum on the interval, and the concavity of the curve is not determined.
Telemachus

Homework Statement

Use the Simpson method to estimate [tex]\displaystyle\int_{0}^{1}\cos(x^2)dx[/tex] with an approximation error less than 0.001.

Well, I have a problem. Actually I'm looking for a bound for the error of approximate method integration by using Simpson's method.

I have to bring [tex]\displaystyle\int_{0}^{1}\cos(x^2)dx[/tex] with an error less than 0.001.

I started looking for the fourth order derivative, and got:

[tex]f^4(x)=48x^2\sin(x^2)-12\cos(x^2)+16x^4\cos(x^2)[/tex]

Now, I have to find a bound K for this derivative in the interval [0,1]. What I did do was watch for if they had maximum and minimum on the interval, then calculate the derivative of order five:
[tex]f^5(x)\in{[0,1]}\Rightarrow{f^5(x)=0\Longleftrightarrow{x=0}}[/tex]

From here I did was ask:

If [tex]f^5(x)\in{[0,1]}\Rightarrow{f^5(x)=0\Longleftrightarrow{x=0}}[/tex]

So here I know is that zero is a maximum or minimum. Then I wanted to look for on the concavity of the curve, and I thought the easiest thing would be to look at the sixth derivative, to know how it would behave the fourth derivative of the original function.

[tex]f^6(x)=720x^2\cos(x^2)-480x^4\sen(x^2)-64x^6\cos(x^2)+120\sen(x^2)[/tex]

The problem is that when evaluated

[tex]f^6(0)=120\sen(0^2)=0[/tex]

So, I get zero the derivative sixth, and I do not say whether it is concave upwards or downwards is concave.

What should I do? there may be a less cumbersome to work this, if so I would know.

Greetings.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You could just plot the function and see it hits a maximum on that interval at x=1. Alternately, you can use arguments like x2sin x2≤x2 to find an upper bound for the function. In these types of problems, it's usually not terribly important to find the actual maximum; an upper bound for the maximum is good enough.

I complicated it too much. Just by evaluating the 6th derivative in any other point of the interval I could get the concavity of the curve. An other way was just seeing for the value of the 5th derivative, as the concavity changes only in zero then I would know if it creases or decreases.

Bye, and thanks.

What is the Simpson approximation method?

The Simpson approximation method is a numerical integration technique used to estimate the area under a curve. It is based on dividing the area into smaller sections and approximating each section with a parabola.

How does the Simpson approximation method work?

The Simpson approximation method works by dividing the area under a curve into an even number of subintervals, and then approximating each subinterval with a parabola. These parabolas are then added together to estimate the total area under the curve.

What are the advantages of using the Simpson approximation method?

The Simpson approximation method is generally more accurate than other numerical integration techniques, especially when the function being integrated is smooth. It also requires fewer function evaluations compared to other methods, making it more efficient.

What are the limitations of the Simpson approximation method?

The Simpson approximation method may not be suitable for non-smooth functions, as it relies on the assumption that the function can be well approximated by parabolas. It also requires an even number of subintervals, which may not always be possible to achieve.

How do I use the Simpson approximation method in my calculations?

To use the Simpson approximation method, you need to know the function you want to integrate, the limits of integration, and the number of subintervals you want to use. You can then apply the formula for the Simpson approximation to estimate the area under the curve.