1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simulating Electrostatic potential

1. Aug 12, 2015 #1
    Hello everyone,

I am currently learning how to use a simulation C++ library (for those wondering, it is the deal.II library) by simulating a "simple" problem where I have a charged parallel plate in free space and I am solving for the electrostatic potential around the plates.

For those that do not know, the deal.II library solves PDEs via the weak form. Once I have it in the weak form, I approximate the integral by quadrature.

Now, I am new to finite element solvers such as deal.II so I am not too sure how I can properly setup my problem. I did make an attempt and I would like to check with the community on how to setup the physics. I am pretty sure that my coding is correct. However, I need to be sure that my equations that I am using are correct hence me asking this question to the physics forum and not the deal.II forum.

So, as it stands, I am currently solving for this equation:

-∇2*V=ρ / ε

where V is the electrostatic potential and ρ is the charge density and ε is the electrical permittivity. (since I am working in the 2-D space, ρ has the units C/m^2)

With this method, I am able to determine the weak form and reduce it to quadrature. However, my only issue is that I am not sure how I should interpret ρ. Would ρ be the charge density on the plate? Or should I calculate ρ for every point around the plates. I know that V and E are both related and that E decreases as the distance from one point to another decreases hence the V decreases. So, I am wondering, how is the distance taken into account? Is it in the V term or the ρ a function of distance (r in this case).

Or, is this a terrible way of thinking about it and I can solve it with a better method in the simulator?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 13, 2015 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Rho is the volume charge density in the volume you are solving the PDE in. If you have a charge surface density on a plate at the boundary, this will translate into the boundary conditions. If you have a charged plate inside your volume you need to approximate the surface density with some finite but thin volume density to solve it numerically.

The * should not be here. In fact, it just makes it more unclear what you actually mean (I know what you mean because I know Gauss's law, but keep these things in mind).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook