Solve Poisson's Equation for Electrostatic Potential

• I
  • Thread starter aaaa202
  • Start date
In summary, the potential for a line charge can be calculated in two ways: by integrating over the charge, or using Poissons equation in 1D. Both solutions give a parabolic potential, but the first method is more accurate for points inside the charge distribution.
aaaa202
Suppose I have a constant charge density ρ0 for some region 0≤x≤a and zero charge density elsewhere. I want to calculate the electrostatic potential for this charge configuration. The general solution is of course a second order polynomial. But which boundary conditions should I impose on the potential V?

Physics news on Phys.org
Google potential of line charge. It is customary to set V = 0 at infinity when possible.

Or perhaps you mean a http://web.mit.edu/8.02t/www/materials/InClass/_notes/IC_Sol_W04D1_3.pdf ? In that case V = 0 at infinity isn't possible ... and we choose V = 0 at x = 0

Okay makes sense. So say I am confined to one dimension and want to find the potential from a line charge extending from -a<x<a anywhere on the x-axis. If I try to calculate the potential inside the charge distribution i.e. V(x) for -a<x<a I get that the 1/r character makes the integral diverge..
On the other hand if I use Poissons equation I get something sensible for all x.
Is this not weird or am I doing something wrong?

Show your work! How did you calculate the potential/electric field? Of course, you expect non-analyticities at the place of the line charge, because that's a pretty singular (idealized) charge distribution.

aaaa202 said:
say I am confined to one dimension
That's ambiguous (I think...). So what's the equation you are trying to solve ?

Well if I am on the x-axis and want to calculate the electrostatic potential I can do it in two ways. I can integrate over the line charge with density λ to find:
V(x) = λ/4πε0-aadx' 1/lx'-xl
But if x is inside the interval -a<x<a then the above integral has a divergence at x=x'.
Now to calculate the potential V I could also use Poissons equation in 1d:
d2V/dx2 = {λ -a < x < a, 0 elsewhere}
The above solution must be parabolic but I am not sure about the boundary condition. Either way I don't see how it could produce the same as the integration approach.
Actually in my problem I have a charge density and I find the electrostatic potential numerically by simply inverting the differential operator d2V/dx2 (which is written as an NxN matrix). In that case what boundary conditions does this procedure choose?

You mean your ##\vec{x}=x \vec{e}_x##. Then your integral is very simple and indeed only defined for ##|x|>a##. Assume $x>a$. Then you have
$$V(x)=\frac{\lambda}{4\pi} \int_{-a}^{a} \mathrm{d} x' \frac{1}{x-x'}=\frac{\lambda}{2 \pi} \mathrm{artanh} \left(\frac{a}{x} \right).$$
[corrected from the original version]

As expected, it's defined everywhere except for ##x \in [-a,a]##. That it's singular there is expected, because the charge distribution is also singular,
$$\rho(\vec{x})=\lambda \delta(y) \delta(z) \Theta(-a<x<a).$$

Last edited:
$$V(x)=\frac{\lambda}{4\pi} \int_{-a}^{a} \mathrm{d} x' \frac{1}{x-x'}=\frac{\lambda}{2 \pi} \mathrm{artanh} \left(\frac{x}{a} \right).$$ I'd expect something like ##\log {x+ a\over x - a}## ?

Hmm okay but what about solving the Poisson equation? Would that yield the same answer?

That's not the Poisson equation !

Which one?
Isn't this Poissons equation for the system:
d2V/dx2 = {-λ/ε0 -a < x < a, 0 elsewhere}

No. You still live in a 3D world, even when you are only interested in the potential on a 1D subspace ! So ##\nabla^2V = 0## is what you have to solve.

(outside the line charge. Inside ##(0,0, -a<x<a)## it's ##\nabla^2V = ## ##\rho\ \ ## with vanHees #7 ##\rho## )

Last edited:
BvU said:
$$V(x)=\frac{\lambda}{4\pi} \int_{-a}^{a} \mathrm{d} x' \frac{1}{x-x'}=\frac{\lambda}{2 \pi} \mathrm{artanh} \left(\frac{x}{a} \right).$$ I'd expect something like ##\log {x+ a\over x - a}## ?
Of course, you can rewrite the artanh function in terms of a logarithm
$$V(x)=\frac{\lambda}{4 \pi} \ln \left(\frac{x+a}{x-a} \right ).$$
Concerning your further questions, it's clear that you are still in 3D space and you solve the Poisson equation, which reads
$$\Delta V=-\rho,$$
where ##\rho## is the charge density. The solution is
$$V(\vec{x})=\frac{1}{4 \pi} \int_{\mathbb{R}^3} \mathrm{d}^3 \vec{x}' \frac{\rho(\vec{x}')}{|\vec{x}-\vec{x}'|}.$$

Last edited:
With |x| > a this doesn't exist...
I'd settle for arctanh(a/x), though ...

And I made a mistake with the sign of ##\rho##. TGIF.

BvU said:
With |x| > a this doesn't exist...
I'd settle for arctanh(a/x), though ...

And I made a mistake with the sign of ##\rho##. TGIF.
Argh, one should copy results right from Mathematica (it's corrected now also in my original posting), it's
$$V(x)=\frac{\lambda}{2 \pi} \mathrm{artanh} \left (\frac{a}{x} \right)=\frac{\lambda}{4 \pi} \ln \frac{x+a}{x-a}.$$

Aren't we having fun ? My comments look a bit silly now, but never mind.

But how is aaaa doing ? All clear as to why you can't get a V on the line charge itself (##\rho## is infinite there) ?

Thanks for your answers. I think it makes more sense now. What troubles me is that I have a 1d constant charge distribution in a program, where I am working with everything numerically. And if I invert the discrete operator ∇2 to get the potential as -[∇2]-1ρ/ε0, which is well defined even inside the charge distribution. Why does it not diverge like in the analytical calculation?
So moving on:
Suppose I now have some rectangular box containing a homogenous charge distribution with density ρ0. Then the solution to Poissons equation is that I should calculate the integral:

V(r) = ρ0/4πε0 ∫dr 1/lr-r'l
Is this integral solvable or divergent?

Either way my end goal is to look at what the stable charge distribution is for a rectangular box. I.e. which distribution of charge inside the box will minimize the energy. Is it possible to solve this problem using variational calculus or something like that?

aaaa202 said:
Thanks for your answers. I think it makes more sense now. What troubles me is that I have a 1d constant charge distribution in a program, where I am working with everything numerically. And if I invert the discrete operator ∇2 to get the potential as -[∇2]-1ρ/ε0, which is well defined even inside the charge distribution. Why does it not diverge like in the analytical calculation?
So moving on:
Suppose I now have some rectangular box containing a homogenous charge distribution with density ρ0. Then the solution to Poissons equation is that I should calculate the integral:

V(r) = ρ0/4πε0 ∫dr 1/lr-r'l
Is this integral solvable or divergent?

Either way my end goal is to look at what the stable charge distribution is for a rectangular box. I.e. which distribution of charge inside the box will minimize the energy. Is it possible to solve this problem using variational calculus or something like that?
You still haven't made clear how you want to have a finite ##\rho## ? You really need that to get an answer within the 'line charge'. Rectangular box, conducting sphere, :
(where have I seen that before :smile: ?) equal sign charges want to sit as far away form each other as they can ...

Again: Point, line or surface charges are not finite. It's an expression containing Dirac-##\delta## distributions that are singular along the points, lines, and surfaces they are located. These are idealizations of the true charge distribution, which as a coarse-grained macroscopic quantity in reality is always non-singular.

Related to Solve Poisson's Equation for Electrostatic Potential

1. What is Poisson's equation?

Poisson's equation is a mathematical equation used in electrostatics to calculate the electrostatic potential (voltage) at a point in space, given the distribution of electric charges in that space. It is named after French mathematician and physicist Siméon Denis Poisson.

2. How is Poisson's equation used in electrostatics?

In electrostatics, Poisson's equation is used to find the electrostatic potential (voltage) at a point in space, given the distribution of electric charges in that space. This information is useful in understanding and predicting the behavior of electrical systems and devices.

3. What is the formula for Poisson's equation?

The formula for Poisson's equation is ∇²V = -ρ/ε0, where ∇² is the Laplace operator, V is the electrostatic potential, ρ is the charge density, and ε0 is the permittivity of free space.

4. How do you solve Poisson's equation for electrostatic potential?

To solve Poisson's equation for electrostatic potential, you need to know the charge distribution in the region of interest. Then, using the formula ∇²V = -ρ/ε0, you can calculate the potential at each point in the region. This can be done analytically or numerically using computational methods.

5. What are some real-world applications of solving Poisson's equation for electrostatic potential?

Poisson's equation is used in a wide range of real-world applications, including designing and analyzing electronic circuits and devices, modeling and predicting the behavior of atmospheric electric fields, and understanding the behavior of charged particles in particle accelerators. It is also used in the field of electrocardiography to analyze the electrical activity of the heart.