Simulink: Strange problem with disappearing objects in VR Sink

In summary, the speaker has experienced issues with viewing VR models on simulink at one particular computer lab. They see mostly black and suspect it may be a computer setting that needs to be changed. Suggestions for fixing the issue include resetting graphics settings, adjusting screen resolution, updating graphics driver, or contacting the computer lab for further investigation.
TheFerruccio
I have a few simulink models that I've made over the years, but the computers at this one particular computer lab have a weird response to them.

When I try to view the VR model on simulink, it's as if most of the object is clipped out of view unless I get extremely close to it. I see mostly black, as if some tiny black sphere surrounded the camera and made everything else go out of view.

My VR models work just fine on the other computers, though. I don't quite get it. Has anyone else had this kind of experience, and is there a good fix? It seems like a computer setting that might need to be changed.

Technology news on Phys.org
One possible solution is to try to reset the computer's graphics settings. In some cases, this can help with the graphical issues you described. You can also try adjusting the screen resolution of the computer, or updating the graphics driver for the machine. If none of these work, you may need to contact the computer lab and ask them to investigate further.

I understand your frustration with this strange problem with disappearing objects in VR Sink in Simulink. It is important to troubleshoot and understand the underlying cause of this issue in order to find a solution.

One possible explanation for this issue could be hardware or graphics settings on the specific computer lab's computers. It is possible that the graphics card or driver on those computers may not be fully compatible with Simulink's VR capabilities. I would recommend checking the hardware specifications and graphics settings on those computers to ensure they meet the minimum requirements for running Simulink VR models.

Another potential cause could be a software conflict or glitch. It may be helpful to try updating Simulink to the latest version or reinstalling it to see if that resolves the issue. Additionally, checking for any updates or patches for the VR Sink feature in Simulink may also be beneficial.

If the issue persists, I would suggest reaching out to MathWorks support for further assistance. They may be able to provide specific troubleshooting steps or offer a solution based on their expertise with Simulink and VR technology.

In conclusion, while this may be a frustrating issue, it is important to remain patient and methodical in troubleshooting in order to find a solution. I hope these suggestions are helpful in resolving the disappearing objects issue in Simulink's VR Sink.

1. What is Simulink and what is it used for?

Simulink is a software tool developed by MathWorks that is used for modeling, simulating, and analyzing dynamic systems. It is commonly used in fields such as engineering, physics, and mathematics to design and simulate complex systems.

2. What is VR Sink in Simulink?

VR Sink is a block in Simulink that allows for virtual reality visualization of simulation results. It allows users to create 3D virtual environments and view the behavior of their system in real-time.

3. What is the "disappearing objects" problem in VR Sink?

The "disappearing objects" problem refers to an issue where objects in the virtual environment created using VR Sink may suddenly disappear during simulation. This can be caused by various factors such as incorrect settings, incompatible hardware, or a bug in the software.

4. How can I fix the disappearing objects problem in VR Sink?

If you are experiencing the disappearing objects problem in VR Sink, try checking your settings and making sure they are compatible with your hardware. You can also try updating to the latest version of Simulink or contacting MathWorks technical support for assistance.

5. Are there any alternative solutions to using VR Sink in Simulink?

Yes, there are other software tools available for virtual reality visualization of simulation results. Some popular options include Unity, Unreal Engine, and Vizard. It is recommended to research and compare different tools to find the best fit for your specific needs.