1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sin(theta) = dy/dx ?

1. Jun 28, 2013 #1
    In preparing for an acoustics course, I ran across the following sentence which confused me:

"If (theta) is small, sin(theta) may be replaced by [partial]dy/dx."

I expected to see sin(theta) = (theta) so this threw me off. This came up in the derevation of the one dimensional wave equation after approximating (by Taylor series) the transverse force on a mass element of a tensioned string with [partial]d(Tsin(theta))/dx. The approximation in question thus gave T*([partial]d2y/dx2)*dx.

In the original setup, x and y are cartesian axis in physical 2D space and (theta) is the angle the string (with tension T) makes from the x-axis after displacement from equalibrium.

I've never seen sine approximated by dy/dx before and was hoping somebody might shed some light for me :)

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 28, 2013 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

When ##\theta## is small, ##sin\theta \approx \tan\theta = \frac{dy}{dx}##. In the derivation for the vibrating string, ##\theta## is the slope angle of the string.

4. Jun 29, 2013 #3
    Thank you! :)

5. Jun 29, 2013 #4

rcgldr

Homework Helper

sin(θ) = Δy / sqrt(Δy^2 + Δx^2). For small θ, Δy is small compared to Δx, so

sin(θ) ≈ Δy / sqrt(0 + Δx^2) = Δy / Δx

Last edited: Jun 29, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook