Since they're too tiny for radio how would nanites communicate?

• Thread starter Superposed_Cat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Radio
In summary: 8e0a8b2e8f2a/how-nanotechnology-can-communicate-with-other-s-if-they-are-too-small-to-absorb-radio-waves-or-microwaves
Superposed_Cat
Hey all, firstly, sorry for my terrible phrasing and grammar in the title but I was severely limited by character count. I was wondering if there are any known methods existign that would allow nanites to communicate since they seem too small to absorb radio waves or microwaves, Any input appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
According to the Star Trek wiki... (I had to google it honest)...

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Nanite

A nanite was a microscopic robotic device and a form of nanotechnology. A nanite was built by manipulating atoms and contained gigabytes of computer memory. It was small enough to enter living cells and could be programmed to do numerous tasks... snip...Nanites consisted of several components with different functions. Nanites used in the 24th century are composed of a forward propulsion block, an Oneamisu receiver...

Perhaps they used their Oneamisu receiver whatever that is.

I doubt they are too small to absorb microwaves. After all if a water molecule can be heated by microwaves...

Superposed_Cat said:
I was wondering if there are any known methods existign that would allow nanites to communicate

Microorganisms use chemical signals.

DrStupid said:
Microorganisms use chemical signals.

Insects and plants (and higher organisms -- think Mr. Tomcat marking his territory ) use chemical communication too.

My question was based on if nanotech was to become a reality, so chemical communcation would most likely be out of the question as that requires enzymes which are too complicated to be designed by man.

Superposed_Cat said:
Hey all, firstly, sorry for my terrible phrasing and grammar in the title but I was severely limited by character count. I was wondering if there are any known methods existign that would allow nanites to communicate since they seem too small to absorb radio waves or microwaves, Any input appreciated.
Why can't nanites fabricate an antenna? After all, humans don't personally absorb radio waves in order to receive a signal.

"The nano receiver translates the electromagnetic oscillations of the radio wave into the mechanical vibrations of a nano-tube. The vibrations are then converted into a stream of electrical pulses that reproduce the original radio signal," ah never mind, someone's invented a nano scale radio receiver already
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanoradio

rendering my question moot. Thanks anyway.

Superposed_Cat said:
My question was based on if nanotech was to become a reality, so chemical communcation would most likely be out of the question as that requires enzymes which are too complicated to be designed by man.
Man, you've fallen behind (technologically) and you can't catch up!

Who sez enzymes are too complicated to be designed by man?

http://www1.lsbu.ac.uk/water/enztech/engineering.html

Likes Superposed_Cat
Superposed_Cat said:
that requires enzymes which are too complicated to be designed by man.

Nanites are even more complicate to design.

Ah, turns out the nanotubes may only be a couple of atoms wide but they're hundreds of meters long. Not really "nano"

SteamKing said:
Who sez enzymes are too complicated to be designed by man?
I'd think the issue is data transfer rate.

FAQ: Since they're too tiny for radio how would nanites communicate?

1. How do nanites communicate if they are too tiny for radio waves?

Nanites are microscopic devices designed to perform specific tasks at a nanoscale level. They are too small to emit or receive radio waves, so they use other methods of communication such as chemical signaling, light pulses, or mechanical vibrations.

2. Can nanites communicate with each other if they are not physically connected?

Yes, nanites can communicate with each other through wireless communication methods. They can send and receive signals to and from other nanites in their vicinity, allowing them to coordinate and work together.

3. How do nanites avoid interference when communicating with each other?

Nanites have sophisticated communication protocols that allow them to avoid interference from other devices. They can use different frequencies and channels to ensure clear communication and prevent data loss.

4. Is the communication between nanites secure?

Nanites use encryption and other security measures to ensure the confidentiality of their communication. This is especially important when they are used in sensitive applications, such as in the medical field.

5. Can nanites communicate with larger devices or systems?

Yes, nanites can communicate with larger devices or systems through specialized interfaces. These interfaces allow them to transfer data back and forth, enabling them to receive instructions and send feedback to their controllers.