1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sine series for cos(x) (FOURIER SERIES)

1. Nov 30, 2009 #1
    I was finally able to figure out how to find the sine series for cos(x), but only for [0,2pi]. A question i have though is what is the interval of validity? is it only [0,pi]?
    Ie if I actually had to sketch the graph of the sum of the series, on all of R, would I have cosine or just a periodic extension of cosine from [0,2pi]?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2009 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hey Konrad, welcome to PF.
    I am afraid I don't entirely understand your question. You say that you have managed to write cos(x) as a(n infinite) sum of sines on the interval [0, 2pi].
    But both cos(x) and the sines you used are periodic with period 2pi, aren't they? So if the infinite sum converges to cos(x) on an interval with a length of at least one period, then it converges to cos(x) everywhere, doesn't it?

4. Nov 30, 2009 #3

LCKurtz

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you have expanded cos(x) in a sine series using [itex]p = 2\pi[/itex] in the formula
    [tex] b_n = \frac 2 p \int_0^p \cos(x) \sin{\frac{n\pi x}{p}}\,dx[/tex]
    what you are representing is the [itex]4\pi[/itex] periodic odd extension of cos(x).

[edit - corrected typo: bn not an]

Last edited: Nov 30, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?