Singing Glasses: Tuning to a Certain Frequency

In summary, the conversation is about a high school physics project involving singing wine glasses and resonance. The person is seeking advice on how to tune the glasses using a certain equation and is looking for a tutorial or example for reference. They also mention the potential impact of the glass shape on tuning. Additionally, they mention researching how open-ended wind instruments work for more information.
Follik
Hey everyone,

I have a question, about singing wine glasses that I just can't seem to find the answer too while searching through different web-pages that google gave me.

I'm doing a year end project for my high school physics course, and I decided to do mine on these singing wine glasses, and resonance. I'm thinking I will have 12 cups (1 octave) and tune them using this note/frequency chart I have, and then explain how more or less water effects the changing pitch, then end with a little demostration of a song.

My problem/question is how exactly would I be able to tune the cups? I know I can just add/remove water and tune by ear, but I am looking for a certain equation (if there is one) to find how much water I need in the glass to preduce a certain pitch.

Any suggestions, short tutorial and advice is much appreciate as I am currently stuck with a few weeks left. An example of how to tune to, say, D#1 which frequency is 38.9hz would help a lot so I can see the steps... :)

Thanks Alot!

Physics news on Phys.org
More information:

I have this 'finding frequency' equation: Wavelength = v(speed of sound)/frequency

I plug everything in, for example:

Wavelength = (340m/s)/38.9hz
= 8.74

That's the answer I get... so I am not sure if that takes into account the length of my glass, or if I am suppose to fill it 8.74 or leave air gap of 8.74. :s

Read about how open-ended wind instruments work.

Also, the shape of the wine glass might affect the tuning.

What are singing glasses?

Singing glasses are glasses made of glass or crystal that produce musical tones when rubbed with a wet finger. They are also known as musical glasses or glass harps.

How do singing glasses work?

When a wet finger is rubbed along the rim of the glass, it creates friction between the finger and the glass. This friction causes the glass to vibrate and produce a musical tone. The pitch of the tone is determined by the size and shape of the glass, as well as the amount of water on the finger and the pressure applied.

What is the purpose of tuning singing glasses to a certain frequency?

Tuning singing glasses to a certain frequency allows them to produce specific notes that can be used to play melodies and songs. This makes them a unique and interesting instrument that can be used in musical performances and experiments.

How do you tune singing glasses to a certain frequency?

To tune singing glasses, you will need a tuner or a pitch pipe to determine the frequency of the note you want to produce. Then, you can adjust the amount of water on your finger and the pressure applied to the glass to produce the desired frequency. It may take some practice and experimentation to find the right combination for each note.

What are the different ways singing glasses can be played?

Singing glasses can be played in various ways, including rubbing the rim with a wet finger, tapping the side of the glass, or using a bow to create friction. They can also be played individually or in a group, with each glass producing a different note to create a melody. Some musicians have even created special setups with multiple glasses to play more complex pieces.