1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Singing Glasses: Tuning to a Certain Frequency

1. Jun 1, 2008 #1
    Hey everyone,

I have a question, about singing wine glasses that I just can't seem to find the answer too while searching through different web-pages that google gave me.

I'm doing a year end project for my highschool physics course, and I decided to do mine on these singing wine glasses, and resonance. I'm thinking I will have 12 cups (1 octave) and tune them using this note/frequency chart I have, and then explain how more or less water effects the changing pitch, then end with a little demostration of a song.

My problem/question is how exactly would I be able to tune the cups? I know I can just add/remove water and tune by ear, but I am looking for a certain equation (if there is one) to find how much water I need in the glass to preduce a certain pitch.

Any suggestions, short tutorial and advice is much appreciate as I am currently stuck with a few weeks left. An example of how to tune to, say, D#1 which frequency is 38.9hz would help alot so I can see the steps... :)

Thanks Alot!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 1, 2008 #2
    More information:

I have this 'finding frequency' equation: Wavelength = v(speed of sound)/frequency

I plug everything in, for example:

Wavelength = (340m/s)/38.9hz
    = 8.74

That's the answer I get... so I am not sure if that takes into account the length of my glass, or if im suppose to fill it 8.74 or leave air gap of 8.74. :s

4. Jun 1, 2008 #3

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Read about how open-ended wind instruments work.

Also, the shape of the wine glass might affect the tuning.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?