Single slit interference and Diffraction Grating !

• Thread starter elemis
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Lets say I have a double slit interference experiment set up. Now if I cover one slit what CHANGES would be observed ?

I know I would see fewer bright fringes and that the intensity of the bright fringes would fall. Is there anything else ?

In a different scenario I have a diffraction grating setup. Lets say replace the grating with a double slit setup. What changes would be observed ?

EDIT : In each case I am interested in changes to the interference patterns. Two observations for each would be helpful.

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

Here's a video (kiddy version, but does the job) explaining the double and single slit experiments.

Also, if you have a double slit experiment and cover 1 slit, you get a single slit experiment. Vice versa.
What are you asking?

Here's a video (kiddy version, but does the job) explaining the double and single slit experiments.

Also, if you have a double slit experiment and cover 1 slit, you get a single slit experiment. Vice versa.
What are you asking?
What I am asking is in the above scenarios what changes would one observe in the interference patterns ?