Is My Vehicle in Danger of Sinking if Water Enters?

In summary, the question of how much water a vehicle with an airtight passenger compartment must be filled with before sinking is dependent on the weight and size of the vehicle. The placement of the engine may also affect whether the car would sink nose-first.
AnonyMous2014
I need to know approximately what percentage of a vehicle with an airtight passenger compartment must be filled with water before it sinks to the bottom.
The fact that it is airtight may normally prevent it from sinking, but if a window was cracked from impact, and water slowly trickled in, would that be enough to make a car sink?
Also, would the car sink nose-first if it fell from an elevated surface on its side?

Physics news on Phys.org
AnonyMous2014 said:
I need to know approximately what percentage of a vehicle with an airtight passenger compartment must be filled with water before it sinks to the bottom.
Well, let's see. Suppose the vehicle weighs 10 tons and the compartment is 10 cubic feet. You get one answer. Suppose the vehicle weighs 2 tons and the compartment is 10 cubic feet. You get a very different answer. You see how an ill-specified question can basically have no meaningful answer ?

Last edited:
Likes billy_joule and davenn
AnonyMous2014 said:
Also, would the car sink nose-first if it fell from an elevated surface on its side?

if the engine was in the front, then probably, yes

1. Can my vehicle really sink if water enters?

Yes, it is possible for a vehicle to sink if water enters it. This is because water is denser than air, which means that it can displace more weight and cause the vehicle to become heavier and sink.

2. How much water does it take for a vehicle to sink?

The amount of water needed for a vehicle to sink varies depending on the type and weight of the vehicle. However, even a small amount of water can significantly impact the vehicle's stability and make it more susceptible to sinking.

3. What should I do if my vehicle starts to sink in water?

If your vehicle starts to sink in water, the most important thing to do is to remain calm. Attempt to roll down the windows or open the doors to escape. If these options are not possible, try to stay afloat and wait for help to arrive.

4. Can I prevent my vehicle from sinking in water?

While it is not always possible to prevent a vehicle from sinking in water, there are some precautions you can take. Avoid driving through deep water or unknown bodies of water, and regularly check and maintain the condition of your vehicle's tires, brakes, and electrical system.

5. Are there any safety features in vehicles to prevent sinking in water?

Some vehicles may have safety features such as airbags that can help keep the vehicle afloat if it enters water. However, these features are not guaranteed to prevent sinking. It is always important to exercise caution and avoid driving into water if possible.