Sinusoid to exponential w/ complex frequencies

In summary, the given sinusoid can be expressed in terms of complex exponentials using the formula cos(theta) = (1/2)[e^(+i*theta) + e^(-i*theta)]. This results in (4e^-2)/2[(e^iwt)(e^i*pi/4) + (e^-iwt)(e^-i*pi/4)]. The complex exponential function is periodic with period 2(Pi)i, and the concept of frequency may refer to the number of cycles per standard period, which in this case would be 1 cycle per period.
Number2Pencil

Homework Statement

Express the given sinusoid in terms of exponentials and determine the complex frequency(s).

4(e^-2)cos(wt + pi/4)

Homework Equations

Euler's identity:

A(e^i*theta) = A[cos(theta) + i*sin(theta)]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm really drawing a blank here. I tried writing in a "+ i*sin(wt + pi/4)" after the cosine but that really didn't help my any. I'm not even sure what type of math this is considered... please any starting point would be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't there an expression for cos (z) in terms of complex exponentials? Check your text and try to use it. That seems to be what they are asking for.

I found this one online:

cos(theta) = (1/2)[e^(+i*theta) + e^(-i*theta)]

applying this to mine I get:

(4e^-2){(1/2)[e^(+i*(wt + 45)) + e^(-i*(wt + 45))]

rewrite as:

((4e^-2)/2)[(e^iwt)(e^i*45) + (e^-iwt)(e^-i*45)]

I guess that's my answer...but what about complex frequencies??

First off, change those 45s back to pi/4s. Too much of this stuff is invalid in degrees - always using radians when working in trig/exponential functions is a good habit to get into, unless you're specifically told not to use them (which will likely never happen).

If I'm remembering my Complex Analysis course correctly, the complex exponential function is periodic with period 2(Pi)i (that last i is i^2=-1, that i). Frequency generally refers to the number of cycles per standard period, but if you could give us the definition that you have it would be helpful.

It's likely that you could start from the original form and use the fact that cos(wt + pi/4)
will undergo one cycle as (wt + pi/4) ranges from 0 to 2Pi, but someone may certainly come in and correct me.

Last edited:

1. What is a sinusoid to exponential transformation with complex frequencies?

A sinusoid to exponential transformation with complex frequencies is a mathematical operation that converts a sinusoidal function with real numbers to an exponential function with complex numbers. This transformation is commonly used in signal processing and electrical engineering to analyze and manipulate signals with complex frequency components.

2. How is a sinusoid to exponential transformation with complex frequencies performed?

The transformation is performed by converting the sinusoidal function to its complex form, which includes an imaginary component, and then using Euler's formula to express the function as a combination of exponential functions with complex frequencies. The resulting exponential function can then be used for further analysis and calculations.

3. What are the applications of a sinusoid to exponential transformation with complex frequencies?

This transformation is used in a variety of fields, including signal processing, electrical engineering, and physics. It is commonly used in analyzing signals with complex frequency components, such as in radio frequency communication systems and audio signal processing. It is also used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of wave functions.

4. What is the significance of complex frequencies in a sinusoid to exponential transformation?

Complex frequencies allow us to represent sinusoidal functions with both amplitude and phase information, which is not possible with real numbers alone. This allows for a more accurate and complete representation of signals and makes it easier to perform mathematical operations on them.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges associated with a sinusoid to exponential transformation with complex frequencies?

One limitation is that not all signals can be accurately represented using this transformation, as it assumes a linear and time-invariant system. Additionally, understanding and manipulating complex numbers can be challenging for some individuals, making it difficult to grasp the concept of complex frequencies. However, with proper knowledge and practice, these challenges can be overcome.