Sinusoidal function. Top percentage of values.

In summary, for a sinusoidal function, the highest value exceeded 10% of the time can be determined by finding the values of x where sin(x) is equal to 0.8. This can be done by drawing a graph and identifying the points where sin(x) = 0.8. To determine the value for 90% of the time, a horizontal line is drawn at a specific level L, and the equation sin(a) = sin(a + pi/5) is solved to find the value of L. The value of L can be found as L = sin(a), where a is the solution to the equation.
Ry122

Homework Statement

For a sinusoidal function, how do you determine the highest value exceeded 10% of the time?
The pink line in the attached pic indicates that value.
Just wondering how you actually determine the value for a periodic function?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ry122 said:

Homework Statement

For a sinusoidal function, how do you determine the highest value exceeded 10% of the time?
The pink line in the attached pic indicates that value.
Just wondering how you actually determine the value for a periodic function?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

That function is not very sinusoidal. In that case it's simply a numerical problem. If you mean that you have a function like y=sin(x) that is, then just draw a graph, say over the range [0,2pi]. The highest value is 1 and the lowest value is -1, so you want to find the values of x where sin(x)=0.8. That isn't so hard, is it?

Last edited by a moderator:
I was just posting that graph to show what I mean by sound level exceeded 10% of the time I'm actually just trying to do it for a periodic function.
I'm not sure if what's you're saying answers the question or not. Maybe you misunderstood the question.
Someone else told me length of interval [pi/2 - pi/10, pi/2 + pi/10] is 10% of [0, 2pi]
Does this make sense to you?

Ry122 said:
I was just posting that graph to show what I mean by sound level exceeded 10% of the time I'm actually just trying to do it for a periodic function.
I'm not sure if what's you're saying answers the question or not. Maybe you misunderstood the question.
Someone else told me length of interval [pi/2 - pi/10, pi/2 + pi/10] is 10% of [0, 2pi]
Does this make sense to you?

Yes, I did misunderstand. I was thinking it was 10% of the max not 10% of the time. 10% of 2*pi is pi/5. Since the max of sin is at pi/2 then I think that "somebody else" is correct.

Yeah thanks, that gave me the correct answer. If pi/2 - pi/10 is 10% of the time, what is it for 90% of the time?

Ry122 said:
Yeah thanks, that gave me the correct answer. If pi/2 - pi/10 is 10% of the time, what is it for 90% of the time?

Well, x is outside of the range you gave 90% of the time. And y=sin(x) is less than the value of sin(pi/2-pi/10), isn't it?

Last edited:
i mean what value is exceed 90% of the time though so it's line on the above graph would be down the bottom somewhere

Ry122 said:
i mean what value is exceed 90% of the time though so it's line on the above graph would be down the bottom somewhere

If you draw a horizontal line at ##y = L \; (0 < L < 1)## it cuts the graph of ##y = \sin(x)## at two points, say ##x=a## and ##x=b##, with ##\sin(a) = \sin(b) = L.## If you want ##\sin(x) > L## for 10% of the time, you want ##b-a = 2 \pi/10 = \pi/5,## so you need to solve the equation
[tex] \sin(a) = \sin(a + \pi/5)[/tex]
Expanding ##\sin(a + \pi/5)## we get the equation
[tex] \sin(a) = \sin(a) \cos(\pi/5) + \cos(a) \sin(\pi/5)[/tex]
Thus
[tex] [1-\cos(\pi/5)] \sin(a) = \sin(\pi/5) \cos(a) \Rightarrow \tan(a) =
\frac{\sin(\pi/5)}{1-\cos(\pi/5)}[/tex]
From this we can find ##a## and can get the level ##L## as
[tex] L = \sin(a) = \frac{\sin(\pi/5)}{\sqrt{2\left(1-\cos(\pi/5) \right)}}[/tex]
We have ##a = 1.256637061,## and ##L = .9510565160## is the desired level.

Ray Vickson said:
If you draw a horizontal line at ##y = L \; (0 < L < 1)## it cuts the graph of ##y = \sin(x)## at two points, say ##x=a## and ##x=b##, with ##\sin(a) = \sin(b) = L.## If you want ##\sin(x) > L## for 10% of the time, you want ##b-a = 2 \pi/10 = \pi/5,## so you need to solve the equation
[tex] \sin(a) = \sin(a + \pi/5)[/tex]
Expanding ##\sin(a + \pi/5)## we get the equation
[tex] \sin(a) = \sin(a) \cos(\pi/5) + \cos(a) \sin(\pi/5)[/tex]
Thus
[tex] [1-\cos(\pi/5)] \sin(a) = \sin(\pi/5) \cos(a) \Rightarrow \tan(a) =
\frac{\sin(\pi/5)}{1-\cos(\pi/5)}[/tex]
From this we can find ##a## and can get the level ##L## as
[tex] L = \sin(a) = \frac{\sin(\pi/5)}{\sqrt{2\left(1-\cos(\pi/5) \right)}}[/tex]
We have ##a = 1.256637061,## and ##L = .9510565160## is the desired level.

a=1.256637061 is, not surprisingly, pi/2-pi/10. It's actually kind of obvious if you just look at the graph. Why are you choosing this difficult path to the result?

1. What is a sinusoidal function?

A sinusoidal function is a mathematical function that describes a wave-like pattern. It is a type of periodic function that repeats itself over a certain interval, and can be represented by a sine or cosine curve.

2. How is a sinusoidal function related to trigonometry?

Sinusoidal functions are closely related to trigonometric functions, specifically sine and cosine. This is because the values of sine and cosine are used to create the curve of a sinusoidal function. Additionally, the period and amplitude of a sinusoidal function can be calculated using trigonometric ratios.

3. What is the period of a sinusoidal function?

The period of a sinusoidal function is the length of one complete cycle of the wave-like pattern. It is represented by the variable T and can be calculated using the formula T = 2π/b, where b is the coefficient of the independent variable in the function.

4. How do you find the top percentage of values in a sinusoidal function?

The top percentage of values in a sinusoidal function can be found by using the amplitude of the function. The amplitude represents the maximum distance from the middle line of the function to the top or bottom of the curve. To find the top percentage of values, you would take the amplitude and add it to the middle line of the function, which would give you the highest values of the function.

5. How can a sinusoidal function be applied in real-life situations?

Sinusoidal functions have many real-life applications, such as modeling the movement of a pendulum, the tides in the ocean, and the vibrations of a guitar string. They are also used in electrical engineering to describe alternating current and in economics to model cyclical patterns in data.