1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sinusoidal function. Top percentage of values.

1. Jun 10, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

For a sinusoidal function, how do you determine the highest value exceeded 10% of the time?
    The pink line in the attached pic indicates that value.
    Just wondering how you actually determine the value for a periodic function?

[Broken]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That function is not very sinusoidal. In that case it's simply a numerical problem. If you mean that you have a function like y=sin(x) that is, then just draw a graph, say over the range [0,2pi]. The highest value is 1 and the lowest value is -1, so you want to find the values of x where sin(x)=0.8. That isn't so hard, is it?

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  4. Jun 10, 2013 #3
    I was just posting that graph to show what I mean by sound level exceeded 10% of the time I'm actually just trying to do it for a periodic function.
    I'm not sure if whats you're saying answers the question or not. Maybe you misunderstood the question.
    Someone else told me length of interval [pi/2 - pi/10, pi/2 + pi/10] is 10% of [0, 2pi]
    Does this make sense to you?

5. Jun 11, 2013 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, I did misunderstand. I was thinking it was 10% of the max not 10% of the time. 10% of 2*pi is pi/5. Since the max of sin is at pi/2 then I think that "somebody else" is correct.

6. Jun 11, 2013 #5
    Yeah thanks, that gave me the correct answer. If pi/2 - pi/10 is 10% of the time, what is it for 90% of the time?

7. Jun 11, 2013 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, x is outside of the range you gave 90% of the time. And y=sin(x) is less than the value of sin(pi/2-pi/10), isn't it?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  8. Jun 11, 2013 #7
    i mean what value is exceed 90% of the time though so it's line on the above graph would be down the bottom somewhere

9. Jun 11, 2013 #8

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you draw a horizontal line at ##y = L \; (0 < L < 1)## it cuts the graph of ##y = \sin(x)## at two points, say ##x=a## and ##x=b##, with ##\sin(a) = \sin(b) = L.## If you want ##\sin(x) > L## for 10% of the time, you want ##b-a = 2 \pi/10 = \pi/5,## so you need to solve the equation
    [tex] \sin(a) = \sin(a + \pi/5)[/tex]
    Expanding ##\sin(a + \pi/5)## we get the equation
    [tex] \sin(a) = \sin(a) \cos(\pi/5) + \cos(a) \sin(\pi/5)[/tex]
    Thus
    [tex] [1-\cos(\pi/5)] \sin(a) = \sin(\pi/5) \cos(a) \Rightarrow \tan(a) =
    \frac{\sin(\pi/5)}{1-\cos(\pi/5)}[/tex]
    From this we can find ##a## and can get the level ##L## as
    [tex] L = \sin(a) = \frac{\sin(\pi/5)}{\sqrt{2\left(1-\cos(\pi/5) \right)}}[/tex]
    We have ##a = 1.256637061,## and ##L = .9510565160## is the desired level.

10. Jun 11, 2013 #9

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

a=1.256637061 is, not surprisingly, pi/2-pi/10. It's actually kind of obvious if you just look at the graph. Why are you choosing this difficult path to the result?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted