Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sinusoidal Voltage and frequency?

1. Apr 20, 2008 #1
    Does the frequency of a sinusoidal voltage or current attribute anything? Maybe more power?

All I know so far is that you can filter certain frequencies out with filter circuits.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2008 #2
    yes....when working with tuned circuits, your maximum power will be at the frequency of the tuned circuit.

nearly all systems have a frequency response and if you match your input signals to that of the system, then you will have the least resistance or should i say impedance and maximum power transfer.

Filters are used to discriminate between signals. some you want to get rid of and some you want to keep.
  4. Apr 22, 2008 #3

Staff: Mentor

In addition to deakie's comments, if you are putting a sinusoidal voltage across a capacitance, then yes, the higher the frequency, the higher the power required to maintain the same peak-to-peak voltage.

Quiz Question for iflabs -- starting with the equation relating current and voltage in a capacitor ( I = C dV/dt ), show that my statement is true.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?