Sinusoidal Voltage and frequency?

• Thread starter iflabs
  • Start date
Does the frequency of a sinusoidal voltage or current attribute anything? Maybe more power?

All I know so far is that you can filter certain frequencies out with filter circuits.

Answers and Replies

yes....when working with tuned circuits, your maximum power will be at the frequency of the tuned circuit.

nearly all systems have a frequency response and if you match your input signals to that of the system, then you will have the least resistance or should i say impedance and maximum power transfer.

Filters are used to discriminate between signals. some you want to get rid of and some you want to keep.

berkeman
Mentor
Does the frequency of a sinusoidal voltage or current attribute anything? Maybe more power?

All I know so far is that you can filter certain frequencies out with filter circuits.
In addition to deakie's comments, if you are putting a sinusoidal voltage across a capacitance, then yes, the higher the frequency, the higher the power required to maintain the same peak-to-peak voltage.

Quiz Question for iflabs -- starting with the equation relating current and voltage in a capacitor ( I = C dV/dt ), show that my statement is true.