Didn't use correct high/low pass filter setting day wasted?

• Thread starter rwooduk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Filter
In summary, the hydrophone was left to detect between 250kHz and 1MHz, but the high pass - low pass filter was not changed, and the detected peak to peak voltage value of the sin wave was used instead of measuring the sound frequency. The Vpp measurement was affected by the filter and needs to be set right.
rwooduk
Hi, I'm using a hydrophone to detect frequency signals (or more precisely pressure) in water. It involves using a hydrophone to detect the peak to peak voltage of the sinusoidal signal. BUT I forgot to change the high pass - low pass settings!

It was left to detect between 250kHz (high pass) and 1MHz (low pass), and I have been analysing frequencies at below 250 kHz.

I have been using the detected peak to peak voltage value of the sin wave, not measuring it's frequency. I got readings that made sense, but now I'm worried that the filter being applied incorrectly will influence results.

Any ideas? will a high - low pass filter effect the detected peak to peak values?

Thanks for any advise!

Engineering news on Phys.org
rwooduk said:
Hi, I'm using a hydrophone to detect frequency signals (or more precisely pressure) in water. It involves using a hydrophone to detect the peak to peak voltage of the sinusoidal signal. BUT I forgot to change the high pass - low pass settings!

It was left to detect between 250kHz (high pass) and 1MHz (low pass), and I have been analysing frequencies at below 250 kHz.

I have been using the detected peak to peak voltage value of the sin wave, not measuring it's frequency. I got readings that made sense, but now I'm worried that the filter being applied incorrectly will influence results.

Any ideas? will a high - low pass filter effect the detected peak to peak values?

Thanks for any advise!
Yes, it will affect the Vpp that you measure. What order is the 250kHz HPF? Even though you were not measuring the sound frequency, do you know what it was? Is it pretty monotonic and stable, or can it vary?

If you know the order of your HPF and the break frequency, and the frequency of a monotonic signal source below 250kHz, you can factor in the attenuation of the HPF to convert your partially-attenuated. Vpp measurement to the actual Vpp number.

Likes rwooduk
Hi, many thanks for the reply! Yes I did a quick test with the filter applied and got completely different results. Day wasted, I'll have to do them all again tomorrow, isn't research awesome!

When the signal was outside of the filter, it was mostly noise, but I was able to pick up a sin wave in some instances. But its a cavitational environment (bubbles flying throughout the liquid) so attenuation of the sound wave does occur, which would explain the occational pick up of a readable signal.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give it some thought, but looks like I'll just do the set again tomorrow.

rwooduk said:
but looks like I'll just do the set again tomorrow.
Agreed. If it's not a known monotonic signal and is composed of a lot of frequencies, the filter effect can't be compensated for and it needs to be set right. Good luck! :smile:

Likes rwooduk

1. What is a high/low pass filter?

A high/low pass filter is a type of electronic filter that allows certain frequencies to pass through while blocking others. It is commonly used in audio and signal processing to remove unwanted noise or frequencies.

2. Why is it important to use the correct high/low pass filter settings?

Using the correct high/low pass filter settings is important because it ensures that the desired frequencies are not filtered out and that the unwanted frequencies are properly removed. This can greatly affect the quality and accuracy of data or sound recordings.

3. What happens if the incorrect high/low pass filter setting is used?

If the incorrect high/low pass filter setting is used, the desired frequencies may be filtered out, resulting in distorted or incomplete data or sound recordings. This can also lead to inaccurate analysis and conclusions.

4. How can I determine the correct high/low pass filter setting to use?

The correct high/low pass filter setting can be determined by understanding the frequency range of the signal or data being processed and selecting the appropriate filter settings to allow that range to pass through while blocking all other frequencies.

5. Can using the wrong high/low pass filter setting waste an entire day of work?

Yes, using the wrong high/low pass filter setting can waste an entire day of work as it can result in inaccurate or unusable data or sound recordings. It is important to carefully select and verify the filter settings before starting any experiments or data collection.