Size and direction of the change in velocity

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 11K views
coconut88
Messages
8
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Find Size and direction of the change in velocity:

a)5m/s west to 10 m/s west

b)10m/s west to 5m/s west

c)5m/s west to 10m/s east

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



a)10-5= 5 west

b)5-10=-5 because there isn't size wihe negitve the answer will be 5 to oppicite direction (east)

C) My problem here the book says the answer will be 15 m/s east but I don't how it come up with it ?

can you explain it for me ?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
coconut88 said:

Homework Statement


Find Size and direction of the change in velocity:

a)5m/s west to 10 m/s west

b)10m/s west to 5m/s west

c)5m/s west to 10m/s east

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



a)10-5= 5 west

b)5-10=-5 because there isn't size wihe negitve the answer will be 5 to oppicite direction (east)

C) My problem here the book says the answer will be 15 m/s east but I don't how it come up with it ?

can you explain it for me ?

5m/s west is equal to -5m/s east.
 
Think you FedEx
5m/s west to 10m/s east = 15 m/s east here my problem
From where I can get 15? why does the book add them?even I know that if I want to know finall velocity v2-v1 but here v2+v1 why ?
 
coconut88 said:
Think you FedEx
5m/s west to 10m/s east = 15 m/s east here my problem
From where I can get 15? why does the book add them?even I know that if I want to know finall velocity v2-v1 but here v2+v1 why ?

(10m/s east) - (5 m/s west) = (10 m/s east) - (- 5m/s east) = 15 m/s east