Size of a 20MW Synchronous Motor for Ship Propulsion

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
gcomyn
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Does anyone know how big a 20MW synchronous motor would be to drive a ship's propellor?
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
The P&O ship "Aurora" uses 20 MW motors but I can't find how big they are anywhere...
 
berkeman said:
How big are nuclear submarine motors? Off to google I go...
I googled nuclear submarine motor size, and got lots of hits. Here's one of the first ones -- pretty interesting info:

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ship/ssn-688.htm

Power Plant One S6G reactor
one shaft at 35,000 shp
Improved Performance Machinery Program Phase I [on 688 Improved]

Length 360 feet (109.73 meters)

Beam 33 feet (10 meters)

Oops, I just reallized that they drive the propeller shaft directly with the hot water turbine, not via an electric motor. My bad. But 35,000 shp is about 26MW, which is in your size range. Hmmm, what else uses a motor that size... Maybe an old diesel submarine. I'd head off to google again, but I need to get back to work...here comes the boss! :biggrin:
 
"Aurora" datasheet here
http://www.solentwaters.co.uk/Article%20Chest/Cruise%20Ship%20Diesel%20Electric%20Propulsion.pdf
 
Last edited by a moderator:
gcomyn said:
"Aurora" datasheet here
http://www.solentwaters.co.uk/Article%20Chest/Cruise%20Ship%20Diesel%20Electric%20Propulsion.pdf
Well if that drawing is to scale, then that gives you the motor size, right? Is that what you're looking for?
 
Last edited by a moderator: