Fitting Metal Carbonyls into a 30-Ångstrom Pore: Is It Possible?

• Thread starter TPie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Metal
In summary, the size of iron pentacarbonyl, methylcyclopentadienyl-manganese-tricarbonyl, and dicobalt octacarbonyl can be found on Wikipedia based on a paper published in Inorganic Chemistry in 1977. The Co-Co distance is 2.5 angstroms and the Co-CO distance is around 1.8 angstroms. Simple math suggests that the diameter of these molecules is no greater than 6.5 angstroms. The size of the atoms also plays a role in fitting these molecules into a 30-Ångstrom pore, but they should all easily fit into a 7x7x7 Å box. Overall,
TPie
What is the size of iron pentacarbonyl, methylcyclopentadienyl-manganese-tricarbonyl, or dicobalt octacarbonyl? Where could I find a source on this information?

I am aiming to fit the above carbonyls into a 29-34 angstrom pore, but I'd like to know if it's even possible given the size of the molecules.

Wikipedia offers numbers based on a paper published in Inorganic Chemistry in 1977. The Co-Co distances is 2.5 angstroms and the Co-CO appears to be in the area of 1.8 angstroms. Does simple math tell me the diameter is no greater than 6.5 angstroms? How does the size of the atoms come into play?

Thank you in advance!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Crystal structure database, experimental data from papers, a quantum-chemical calculation, or even a ball-and-stick model.. Depending on how accurate you want it. (not very it'd seem).

But I can say offhand that all those molecules should easily fit into a 30-Ångstrom pore.

6.5 isn't a bad guess. In fact, I'd wager they'd all fit into boxes of 7x7x7 Å.

Even the bulky methylcyclopentadienyl group is only about 5 Å from end-to-end (and it's flat).

30 Angstroms is a big pore... but how big is the door?

alxm said:
Crystal structure database, experimental data from papers, a quantum-chemical calculation, or even a ball-and-stick model.. Depending on how accurate you want it. (not very it'd seem).

But I can say offhand that all those molecules should easily fit into a 30-Ångstrom pore.

6.5 isn't a bad guess. In fact, I'd wager they'd all fit into boxes of 7x7x7 Å.

Even the bulky methylcyclopentadienyl group is only about 5 Å from end-to-end (and it's flat).

Great. Thank you for the information.

1. What are metal carbonyls?

Metal carbonyls are compounds containing a metal atom bonded to one or more carbon monoxide (CO) molecules. They are often volatile, colorless liquids or solids and are used in a variety of industrial applications such as catalysts, solvents, and fuel additives.

2. How is the size of metal carbonyls determined?

The size of metal carbonyls is determined by the number of metal atoms present in the compound. This can be determined through techniques such as X-ray crystallography or spectroscopy, which can provide information on the molecular structure and composition of the compound.

3. What factors affect the size of metal carbonyls?

The size of metal carbonyls can be affected by several factors, including the type of metal present, the number of CO ligands attached to the metal, and the presence of other atoms or molecules in the compound. Additionally, external factors such as temperature and pressure can also influence the size of metal carbonyls.

4. What is the significance of the size of metal carbonyls?

The size of metal carbonyls is significant because it affects the physical and chemical properties of the compound. For example, smaller metal carbonyls tend to have higher reactivity and volatility, while larger metal carbonyls may be more stable and less reactive.

5. How are metal carbonyls used in industry?

Metal carbonyls have a wide range of industrial applications, including as catalysts in chemical reactions, precursors for metal deposition in thin films, and as additives to improve the performance of fuels. They are also used in the production of various chemicals and materials, such as plastics, pharmaceuticals, and electronics.