How Do You Analyze the Function \( f(x) = \frac{x-4}{x^3} \)?

In summary, the function f(x)=(x-4)/x^3 has no y-intercept and an x-intercept at x=4. It has critical numbers at x=0 and x=6, with a local maximum at x=6. The function crosses the x-axis at x=4 and has a vertical asymptote at x=0. As for horizontal asymptotes, the limit as x approaches infinity is indeterminate and using L'Hospital's rule gives a limit of 0. This is because asymptotic behavior is based on the distance between the function curve and the asymptote line approaching zero as they branch out to infinity.
kald13

Homework Statement

I am to explain all intercepts, critical numbers, extrema, inflection points, and asymptotes of the function f(x)=(x-4)/x^3.

2. The attempt at a solution

a) The y-intercept does not exist, as the domain of the function is all real numbers except x=0. Solving the numerator for 0 yields an x-intercept at x=4
b) f'(x) is easily calculated to be (12-2x)/x^4; solving the numerator for 0 yields a critical number of x=6, and x is undefined at 0, yielding our second critical number; Using values from the intervals shows f'(x)>0 on (-infinity, 0] and [0, 6); f'(x)<0 on (6, infinity), indicating what appears to be a local maximum at x=6. Plugging this into f(x):

f(6)=(6-4)/6^3
f(6)=2/216
or 1/108

I note that this is a positive number, where f(2) is negative, meaning the line has crossed the x-axis between 2 and 6 (specifically at x=4, as predicted)

f(2)=(2-4)/2^3
f(2)=-2/8
or -1/4

Inflection points and second derivative information aside, I now come to the point where I am trying to predict the behavior of the function as x approaches positive and negative infinity.
c) I know there is a vertical asymptote at x=0 due to the fact that the limit of the function does not exist as x approaches 0, but what about horizontal asymptotes?

limit as x approaches infinity of (x-4)/x^3

This is indeterminate, infinity divided by infinity, so using L'Hospital's rule I take the derivative of the numerator and denominator for

limit as x approaches infinity of 1/(3x^2)

I factor out constants:

(1/3) limit as x approaches infinity of 1/x^2

And I know that the limit of 1/x is 0. But here's my problem: I already know that my function has crossed the x-axis at 4, so how can there be a horizontal asymptote at y=0?

Physics news on Phys.org
kald13 said:
And I know that the limit of 1/x is 0. But here's my problem: I already know that my function has crossed the x-axis at 4, so how can there be a horizontal asymptote at y=0?

Asymptotic behavior is based on how the distance between the function curve and the asymptote line approaches zero as they branch out to infinity. How the function behaves before then is irrelevant. Take for example the graph of ##f(x) = \sin(1/x)##. As x values approach 0 from either side, the function crosses the x-axis an infinite number of times. Yet ##\displaystyle\lim_{x \rightarrow \pm\infty} \sin(1/x) = 0##.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    4 KB · Views: 340

Related to How Do You Analyze the Function \( f(x) = \frac{x-4}{x^3} \)?

What is the purpose of graphing curves with limits?

Graphing curves with limits helps us visualize and understand the behavior of a function as it approaches a certain value or point. It also allows us to determine the behavior of a function at a specific point and identify any discontinuities or asymptotes.

How do you find the limit of a curve?

To find the limit of a curve, we can use algebraic techniques such as factoring, simplifying, or using trigonometric identities. We can also use a graphing calculator or graphing software to estimate the limit visually.

What is a horizontal asymptote?

A horizontal asymptote is a horizontal line that a curve approaches but never touches. It is represented by a dashed line on a graph and can be found by taking the limit of the function as x approaches positive or negative infinity. If the limit exists, the horizontal asymptote will be the value of the limit.

What is a vertical asymptote?

A vertical asymptote is a vertical line that a curve approaches but never crosses. It occurs when the denominator of a rational function becomes zero, resulting in an undefined value. We can find the vertical asymptote by setting the denominator of the function equal to zero and solving for x.

How do you determine if a curve has a removable or non-removable discontinuity?

A removable discontinuity occurs when there is a hole or gap in the graph of a function, and it can be removed by filling in the gap. A non-removable discontinuity occurs when the limit of the function does not exist at a certain point, and the function is either undefined or infinite at that point. We can determine if a curve has a removable or non-removable discontinuity by evaluating the limit of the function at that point.