1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sketch the relationship of a VCVS amplifier

1. Mar 6, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

"Sketch the V_o vs V_i relationship for a voltage controlled voltage source amplifier"

2. Relevant equations

none really

3. The attempt at a solution

Ok, so I understand and know by heart the ideal and the practical relationships for a (respectively) ideal and practical Opamp.

Here is an Ideal Opamp relationship
    idealopamprelation.png

If it were practical, the "corners" of the graph would be curved (and from what I understand the opamps we have these days get those corners pretty darn close to ideal)

So, the question is, if I were to have a VCVS (voltage controlled voltage source), rather than just simply V_o and V_i, would I in place have +/- V_s = μV_x? I know its a pretty simple question, but I can't seem to find anything to help [my teacher has mentioned controlled sources in class, but never used them in examples so I don't really understand how the heck to use them)

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2013 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

First, on your figure, I'd move the Vi and Vo symbols closer to the axes that they should be marking (the +x and +y axes respectively).

And on your question, you have the figure right but I don't quite understand your red equation. What are Vx and Vs? The more traditional way to label a VCVS is shown on the right of the figure below. You can still use Vi and Vo for the labels of your VCVS terminals...

http://reference.wolfram.com/applic...LImages/CircuitElements/CircuitElements_4.gif

CircuitElements_4.gif

4. Mar 6, 2013 #3
    +/- V_s = μV_x

plus or minus of the Voltage source = multiplier for the controlled voltage source (voltage source represent by V of x).

That is how my book represents it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted