Sketching the [0-1-1] Direction and Its Relationship to {110} and {111} Planes

  • Thread starter Thread starter JSBeckton
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Indices
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 8K views
JSBeckton
Messages
224
Reaction score
0
I'm not exactly sure what to do here after I find the direction, can anyone help me out? Thanks:

Sketch the [tex] \left[ {0\overline 1 1} \right][/tex] direction. Which {110} and {111} plane(s) does it lie in?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
That is a poorly worded question. I can't remember being asked a question like that with regard to miller indicies. It's pretty obvious to get the direction, but I really don't understand what they are looking for in the second part either. Unless they are eluding to the notion that parallel planes have the same indicies...Maybe a read of this thread may help. Astronuc is the man!

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=92257
 
The sketching part is simple. Draw a cartesian coordinate system and use the definitions of the indices. I can't understand the second question either.
 
I don't understand it either and my test is on monday! (this is a practice test) There is a 3rd part that's kinda confusing too, he did not do any of this stuff in class:

What are the indices of the four directions of the form <111> that lie in the [tex] \left( {\overline 1 01} \right)[/tex] plane of a cibic cell?